website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Gut gets first downhill victory of the season

95605_G08_W01.jpg

Swiss Lara Gut claimed her first downhill victory of the season and seventh of her career on Saturday at Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy, propelling her to within 30 points of Mikaela Shiffrin in the race for the overall title. 

Home favorite Sofia Goggia sat in the lead prior to Gut besting her by a slim 0.05 seconds. 

"The top wasn't really clean and I didn't trust myself to push 100 percent on the skis, so after the second split I really had the feeling that I had to change something. I tried to ski a little bit smoother and it worked out. I'm happy. I knew that if I did what I can, I could be really fast,” Gut said with a smile.

Runner-up Goggia was fighting to get back on the podium streak she started early in the season.

"I think I made a great performance today in the downhill. I'm pretty happy with my skiing but still a little bittersweet for the last interval. But still, it's really OK. I'm trying to push every race close to my limits. It's ok when you try and fail, the important thing is not to lose the confidence you have earned during the season,” Goggia reflected.

Downhill standings leader Ilka Stuhec of Slovenia also recorded a podium result for the first time since December in Val d’Isere.

"My run felt OK, not perfect, because I know that I made some mistakes and lost some time. That's why I'm not winning, I guess. But for sure, it's a beautiful day to ski. And here is always very, very nice because we've done two trainings and a race and there is no track in the snow – no nothing – so it is perfect, and I love it,” Stuhec said.

The venue hosts a super-G race for the ladies on Sunday.

Full Results Here

Lara Gut

Reichelt clocks fastest time with bib #1

95500_G08_W01.jpg

The last speed race before the World Championships in St. Moriz took place today on the Kandahar in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (GER), following yesterday’s replacement race from Wengen. The fastest man on the hill for this second downhill was Austria’s Hannes Reichelt, ahead of Italy’s Peter Fill and Switzerland’s Beat Feuz.

A back surgery in late summer prevented the defending Super-G World Champion to start the season at his very best level, but already in Val Gardena he claimed his first Top-10 of the season and in Santa Caterina he grabbed a second place in the Super-G. The 36 year-old Austrian proved that he is in a great shape in yesterday’s downhill already, with a fourth place despite a big mistake in the upper part.

Today, coming down with a clean run with bib number 1, Reichelt held on to the lead until the very end of the race and claims his 12th career victory.

In second position, South Tyrolean Peter Fill earns a second podium placement in two days and takes the lead in the downhill standings. Confidence is definitively there for last year’s globe winner, who has been skiing at a constant very high level lately and claims his third podium of the season podium.

Beat Feuz was already on the podium in Garmisch-Partenkirchen last year, and after crashing on the Hausbergkante with the fastest split times, it was important for him to show that he is in a great shape and ready for the upcoming World Championships in his home country, on the course where he won both the Super-G and the downhill at the Finals last season.

The men’s speed racers are now enjoying a short break from the World Cup Tour, before coming back to action for the FIS Ski World Championships in St.Moritz from the 6th February on for the first of four downhill trainings. The Super-G will kick off the WCS competitions on 8th February.

Full Results Here

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Wait for it. I don't believe fairy tales like this can happen. :p

c458489a92da4868bb9c0df6b9c08b4c.png

wow aka Usain Bolt :d

interseting, we´ll see :) thats hardly believable for sure

EDIT: I see now they fixed the results, So SVK, CZE and CRO in 2nd round :thumbup: