website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Svindal's season is over...again! That's the 3rd season in a row :(

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Cancelled men's downhill from Wengen (SUI) to be rescheduled in Garmisch Partenkirchen (GER)

This is to inform you that the cancelled men's  AUDI FIS Ski World Cup downhill from Wengen (SUI) will be rescheduled in Garmisch Partenkrichen (GER) on Friday, 27th January 2017, starting time at 13:05 CET.

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Lindsey Vonn again wants to make a mixed gender event in alpine skiing. :p

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1045960/american-star-vonn-to-make-second-attempt-to-compete-against-men

That ship has sailed. She should concentrate on beating the women, because with all of her injuries i think her dominant days are over.

Klaus Brandner is another victim (after three USA skiers) of Streif. He also crashed (like yesterday someone) on that long right corner before road and hit the fence with his back first. Looks like he's injured or at least in pain. Heli's on the way.
9zjYt68.png

Andrew Weibrech had also pretty nasty fall on that last section. He crashed into a gate and went into netting on left side of last straight with quite a big speed. He was OK and even made a "Ghedina" on last jump :d

Matthias Mayer wins the Hahnenkamm Super-G

Impressions World Cup Kitzbuehel

The 77th edition of the Hahnenkammrennen officially kicked off in Kitzbuehel with a super-g held on the legendary Streif today. Matthias Maier clocked the fastest time, followed by Christof Innerhorfer in second and Beat Feuz in third.

The Swiss skier crossed the finish line in pole position thanks to a strong performance especially in the Hausberg Traverse, that allowed him to carry down his speed all the way to the finish. After finishing last years’ super-g season with a win in St. Moritz and a 6th position in the cup standing, Beat Feuz failed to perform at its best in super-g so far, finishing 6th, 14th and 11th. This podium in Kitzbuehel, his 3rd in career (2nd in AC in 2012, 2nd in DH in 2016, 3rd in SG in 2017) gives him the confidence he needed.

“I have three „Gams“ trophies at home now. I am certainly not planning to complain about it not being a gold one again. The Hausbergkante was the deciding section of today’s race.”

With bib number 8, Christof Innerhofer is the surprise guest of this podium. In addition to early season struggles (best placement is a 10th place in Super-G in Val Gardena), the South Tyrolean crashed in Santa Caterina and had to sit out the following races in Wengen due to strong knee pain. He came to Kitzbuehel with the intention to try his best, but without high expectations. This ended up making his day and his second place in the Kitzbuehel super-g even more pleasurable.

“An unbelievable day. Not even I thought I would end up on the winner’s podium today, because I wasn’t sure if I could compete at all after my injury. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn’t give it too much head space.”

Austria has been waiting for a super-g win at Kitzubehel for six years now and today Olympic Champion Matthias Mayer put an end to this drought. Getting his second super-g win in Kitzbuehel, where he already podiumed in this discipline in 2015, is a dream come true for the 27 year old skier from Gerlitzen – Kaernten.

“It is an incredible feeling for me to top the winner’s podium, especially after my injury. After already taking two silver „Gams“ trophies home, I am delighted they have now been given a golden brother.”

Tomorrow, the traditional Hahnenkamm-Abfahrt will take place on the Streif, definitely one of the toughest downhills in the world. The weather forecast is excellent and over 40’000 are expected to visit the event, starting at 11.30 CET. Make sure you don’t miss it.

Full Results Here

Matthias Mayer