website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Early Qualification Predictions

hace 11 minutos, Federer91 said:

Why, Spain has 2 very good chances for medals in Javier Fernandez and Lucas Eguibar. Actually many of us should be the jealous ones. :d

But the fact that some sport are inexisting is sad, and that's what I'm jelaous about.

I personally don't care about the medals too much, but it's about time to win a winter games medal; since the times of the Fernandez-Ochoa sibilings we haven't.

19 minutes ago, hckosice said:

small in quantity but interesting in quality especially Seamus O´Connor :)

Seamus is our leading light by far. I hoped his progress in the last couple of years would have been better though, he seems to have hit a plateau.

5 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Seamus is our leading light by far. I hoped his progress in the last couple of years would have been better though, he seems to have hit a plateau.

yes, but he is still young, 19 only, he still can progress :yes

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (4-7) - We've had quite a few retirements with Bank, Vrablik, Trejbal but we still have almost certainly Strachova in slalom, Kryzl in Giant Slalom, Krizova in downhill, Hudec just switched nationality, so hopefully medal chance in downhill and Super-G! Also chances for Dubovska, Berndt, Paulathova and the like, who are competing at WC level.

Cross Country Skiing  (4-8) - It would be a success if we could qualify both relay teams. Bauer is retiring (for good this time :P) and Magal has, too, and so for the men it will probably be Jaks, Kozisek and Razym, we have a lot of young skiiers as well, like Michal Novak, Knop or Graef, who are improving their results in the WC, and if all else fails we could always ask a long distance skiier to join the team like Petr Novak did for Sochi. For the women, great news is that Katerina Smutna has rejoined the Czech team from Austria, and with Novakova and Grohova and hopefully Vrabcova, assuming she starts skiing in time for Pyongchang, we could have four women.

Ski Jumping  (4-6) - Surely we will qualify 4 or 5 men, my guess is Koudelka, Hlava, Matura and young athletes like Vancura or Stursa. As for women possibly Blazkova has a chance, she is young, if she can improve into the top 30 in the world she could qualify. We used to have Dolezalova who was close to Sochi but it seems she's stopped racing for some reason.

Nordic Combined  (2-4) - Portyk and Dvorak for sure. Also potential for a team relay, young athletes Pazout and Danek look promising.

Freestyle Skiing  (1-4) - In moguls we have Honzig for the men's, though he isn't at WC level yet. Skicross hopefully Zemanova and Kucerova, maybe Kasparkova who won a bronze at the YOG, for the men possibly Jiri Cech but he's been out of the WC for awhile. Small chance in slopestyle men. Other disciplines practically no chance.

Snowboarding  (3-8) - In snowboardcross obviously Samkova and possibly another man and woman (Hopjakova, Kubicik). Slopestyle Pancochova for sure, possibly Vojackova or one of the men. Parallel slalom probably only Ledecka. Big air could also be Pancochova and we have a chance in the men's as well (Horak). Halfpipe I don't see happening unless, again, Pancochova.

Biathlon  (10) - Anything less than 10 is a catastrophe. I predict Slesingr, Moravec, Krcmar, Vaclavik, Soukup, Koukalova, Vitkova, Charvatova, Jislova, Puskarcikova.

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (2-4) - I guess the goal here is to qualify a team pursuit. Sablikova and Erbanova will qualify, and could be accompanied by Zdrahalova or Kerschbaummayrova. For men Durkiewicz has a very small chance.

Short Track Speed Skating  (0-2) - Novotna has said she wants to try for her 5th Olympics, and we also have a talented junior in Sejpalova who could make it. With men we don't have practically any chance. 

Figure Skating  (4-6) - Brezina and Brezinova are practically certain unless something happens, I'm also counting on the junior world champions in the pair skate Duskova and Bidar. Also think we can qualify an ice dancing pair, either Mansour/Ceska or Sinicyn/Kuzmichova, so hoping for a spot in the team event?

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (3-6) - Lukas and Antonin Broz will make it in the doubles. Kvicala/Kundera also have a chance. Hyman will probably make it in men's singles and Noskova in women's singles.

Skeleton  (0-1) - Very obscure sport in Czech Republic. We have one guy, Philip Moelter, who finished 29th at the last WCH, and he's still a junior, so he could improve and qualify. We have a woman on the European Cup circuit as well (Glaesser) but I don't think she really has a chance.

Bobsleigh  (4-6) - Fairly certain we can qualify a four-man, and hoping for a two-man as well. Quite a few athletes who could be in these teams. We don't have any females at the moment.  

Team Sports

Curling  (0-10) - Both men and women are eligible for the Olympic Qualifying Event but I think the women have a far greater chance, they made it to the WCH, whereas the men are stuck in Division B of Europe ever since Snitil retired. Anything could happen, though.

Ice Hockey  (25-50) - Men obviously already qualified. With the women, it really comes down to whether we can beat Switzerland. We have been improving quite a bit recently so I think we can do it, but it won't be easy. Would be amazing to finally see the women's team at the Olympics!

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (132) (which would be amazing, given for the first time we would have representation in all events)

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (66)

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (86)