website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2018 Early Qualification Predictions

2018EarlyPredictions.png

If you remember in the old forum we had a amazing thread focusing in first team sizes predictions of your countries for the summer olympics Rio 2016.

So what about to do the same also for the PyeongChang upcomming games ?

Also we should work with same format, so if you are interested just copy/paste the template and pick you first predictions.

:WHT ...

Team Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 PyeongChang

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  () -

Cross Country Skiing  () -

Ski Jumping  () -

Nordic Combined  () -

Freestyle Skiing  () -

Snowboarding  () -

Biathlon  () -

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  () -

Short Track Speed Skating  () -

Figure Skating  () -

Sleigh Sports

Luge  () -

Skeleton  () -

Bobsleigh  () -

Team Sports

Curling  () -

Ice Hockey  () -

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  ()

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - ()

Total Realistic Prediction  -  ()

:SVK Slovakia

Team Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 PyeongChang

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (9) - There chance to qualify more, but 9 is the most realistic number. In this sport we will have our biggest and most realistic medal chance. Our girls (Petra Vlhová and Veronika Velez-Zuzulová) are among the best of the world in womens slalom and looking how they are improving race after race, I really hope for a medal, which will be something huge for our winter sport. let´s hope they will be able to continue to rise their performances and avoid injuries. Thanks them we will surely qualify also 3 other girls for PyeongChang (Barbora Kantorová for sure + 2 other girls). Among mens it´s a bit complicated, but we are in faith that Adam and his brother Andreas Žampa´s will have in Korea at least 2 teammates (Matej Falát and Matej Prieložný or Martin Bendík)

Cross Country Skiing  (3) - Our Cross-Country skiing is in huge troubles, after Martin Bajčičák retirement the situation is even worse, I´ll not be surprised if we will have only 1 male in PyeongChang (Peter Mlynár), same among womens, at least Alena Procházková has capacity in her great day to do something interesting in sprint. Our biggest and only hope for a decent result in this sport. But I still think we should qualify at least 1 more athlete to accompany the 2 higher mentioned in PyeongChang.

Ski Jumping  (0) - No chance, unfortunately this sport is dead in SVK. I even don´t knoe if our federation is still working ? not sure at all. apparently we have 2 youth athletes but they heve not where to trains, without infrastructure, funds and absolutely any interest there nothing bright for us here even the future looks very very very bad. which is very sad especially for me, because Ski Jumping is one of ma top favourite sports, it was one of those sports I started to follow the first during my childhood, so sad about our situation.

Nordic Combined  (0) - The same as for ski jumping, maybe even a level worse. we have only one registred athlete, I´m not sure if he is still active tough...no money, no funny...our nordic skiing is KO..and sadly it doesn´t look to be any better any soon. those sports Ski Jumping and NC are something I envy the most to our Czech brothers, they have great system, fantastic infrastructures and talented athletes...we have nothing

Freestyle Skiing  (1) - Pretty likely we will have a participate in freestyle skiing, Zuzana "Zuzička" Stromková if will avoid injuries should easily qualify in ski slopestyle. I´ll be very happy for her, she is such great and humble person, and so hot :p

Snowboarding  (1) - Same as freestyle skiing we should qualify here easily also one of our "snow girls" Klaudia Medlová has abilities to be a medal threat in Big Air or Slopestyle in a perfect day. She is traditionally our only invited athlete for the prestigious x-games. Maybe we will this time qualify also solmeone else, Klaudia´s younger sister Zuzana in the same events can do it but must to improve much more during this season to collect important points, among mens the situation is harder, maybe Hliničan has a shot in Big Air but it´s probably unlikely, he is actually too far in the list.

Biathlon  (10) - No excuses here, any lower number will be dissappointing, even if nowadays this sport became to be really painful for slovak sport fans to follow, it´s indiscutably a sport with huge tradition and history in SVK. our womens relays always fought for olympic medals, 4th in Nagano, 5th in Salt Lake and Torino..then with Anastasiya Kuzmina winning our only 2 gold medals from winter olympics since our independance. 5 girls shoudn´t be a problem to qualify (especially if Kuzmina and Paulina Fialková will do their job collecting points for the Nations Cup) it may be abit harder for mens but I still hope for the best

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (0) - No way, inexisting sport here, as I know we have 2 guys registred but with very poor level. well...what to say, you´ll hardly find a slovak guy skating on ice without cross and puck..the interest for speed skating is very very low here.

Short Track Speed Skating  (1) - I think we should qualify 1 girl this time too, Alica Porubská is a very talented girl and she definitely deserve to fulfil her olympic dream.

Figure Skating  (3) - Not sure about this one, since our best dance pair Federica Testa/Lukáš Csolley unfortunately split this summer, the new formed Lucie Myslivečková/Lukáš Csolley will have a very hard task to qualify, I´m not persuated they will manage it. I sincerely hope I´m wrong..we´ll see...In other side Nicole Rajičová should qualify without big problems in the womens competition.

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (4) - Expecting a representative in each event in order to qualify also for the team realy. I think it´s realistic to qualify Jozef Ninis for the mens, Viera Gbúrová for the womens and Solčanský/Stuchlák for the doubles competition

Skeleton  (0) - Zero chance, inexisting sport. I remember we had one athlete with slovak descendants competing in the USA but without any mentionable or notable results, he was trying to qualify for SVK for Sochi but with very poor results, and I don´t know if he is even still active

Bobsleigh  (0) - Unfortunately we will not be represented this time for sure, the first time since 2002. Our bobsleigh team broke as I know, didn´t heard anything about a new one.

Team Sports

Curling  (0) - Our mens didn´t qualify for the World Chapionships and thus lost the last chance to qualify, womens are at even lower level, only chance, very slim was in the new formed mixed doubles, but since only 8 teams will qualify it´s (well, don´t confuse the unlikely with the impossible) but here it´s impossible to qualify. there much more teams with higher level.

Ice Hockey  (25) - Mens qualified ! Shame and absolute disaster avoided. We never missed any winter olympic tournament. Czechoslovakia never missed any tournament the same streak continue after the split up also for the Czech republic and Slovakia and we sincerely hope and wish it will continue this way for the eternity. This is the most important sport for slovaks, the majority of slovaks consider the winter olympics only by the hockey, we should win milion medals but if our team didn´t reach the quarterfibals, the olympics are unsuccesfull. This time too we will not only send a team to take part, the goal is already known and is the same as always. Quarter Finals ! We must ! everything else is a failure. Lillehammer, Torino and Vancouver were succesful, Nagano, Salt Lake and especially Sochi were a total failures, so the QF are duty this time, this time WE MUST  !

About the womens..No chance this time, the Vancouver 2010 generation retired and this generation is much weaker, it´s unlikely to qualify for them, if they will it will be a huge surprise. I expect more from the future to be honest. our youth categories are showing very good work and results, so maybe in 2022 we will have again both ice hockey teams under the 5 rings.

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (60) without womens Ice hockey (with them it´s 83) it´s the maximum 60, but it´s unrealistic to reach this magic 60 barreer

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (50) I think it´s pretty impossible to qualify lower number than 50.

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (55) That´s my expecting number of our athletes in PyeongChang, still higher than for the summer olympics

:NED Netherlands

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (0) - No Dutch skier is going to get one top-8 or two top-16 finishes in a World Cup and/or the World Championships unless some miracle happens.

Cross Country Skiing  (0) - As far as I know, we don't have serious FIS-level XC skiers apart from maybe a few who compete in local German/Austrian competitions.

Ski Jumping  (0) - We only have Lars Antonissen in the Continental Cup, I'd say it's highly unlikely for him to get a top-8 or two top-16 finishes in the World Cup.

Nordic Combined  (0) - No athletes.

Freestyle Skiing  (0) - No athletes of top-8/16-level as far as I know.

Snowboarding  (2) - Cheryl Maas should make it in big air and/or slopestyle and maybe there's some hope for Glenn de Bois in boardercross and Michelle Dekker in parallel giant slalom. I guess there's some freestyle snowboarder, but I don't really care about that sport so, let's just keep it with a total of two, Maas and someone else. 

Biathlon  (0) - All we have are youngsters Jarl Hengstmengl and sister Lilian and Carine Leijn. I believe they can go for the Olympics in 2022, but 2018 is just too early for these teenagers.

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (20) - Apparently the maximum is 10 men and 10 women and I'd be very surprised if we don't get that maximum. Apart from the women's 500m, we have top-5 skaters in basically every distance and more than one top-10 skater in all of them. 

Short Track Speed Skating  (10) - If I'm not mistaken, 5 men and 5 women are the maximum and I hope we can get that. Now that Jorien ter Mors isn't doing short track anymore it might be a little harder, but with Suzanne Schulting rising up it might be possible. Who knows.

Figure Skating  (0) - Nah. 

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (0) - Nope.

Skeleton  (1) - Kimberley Bos was the big sensation of last year's World Championships, her debut at the highest level where she finished 8th. It was at her favourite track, but I believe she has a very real chance to qualify for the Olympics if she keeps growing like this.

Bobsleigh  (0) - Meh. 

Team Sports

Curling  (0) - The men have a theoretical chance, but that's more likely to stay theoretical.

Ice Hockey  (0) - No. 

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (35) Maybe if Joska le Conté manages to join Kimberley Bos in skeleton and we find a total of 3 snowboarders.

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (27) Only the 20 speed skaters, one snowboarder, 3 short track men and 3 short track women.

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (33)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:CRO CroatiaTeam Size prediction for Winter Olympic Games 2018 PyeongChang

Ski Sports

Alpine Skiing  (6-8) - I guess we'll have 2 girls and 4 boys minimum. One-two more could be possible too-

Cross Country Skiing  (2) - It seems likely that we will again have two here, one per gender. At least these days we have athletes good enough to reach A standard, instead of sending wild card B athletes who can compete in only one event. :facepalm: I suppose there's a tiny chance for the second male athlete.

Ski Jumping  (0) - Non-existent

Nordic Combined  (0) - Non-existent

Freestyle Skiing  (0) - We have one amateur in moguls, but his chances are like 0.0001%.

Snowboarding  (0-1) - With some luck we might qualify a girl in big air/slopestyle.

Biathlon  (0) - Well, miracles can happen...

Skating Sports

Speed Skating  (0) - LOL

Short Track Speed Skating  (0) - At least we compete here, but only some Steven Bradbury qualifications can bring us to Korea.

Figure Skating  (0-3) - This actually could be our best hope to qualify someone outside of alpine skiing/cross-country. We have a somewhat decent chance in both pairs and men's singles. Even if they fail, it's nice that we have some actually good skaters these days, considering that our figure skating was dead after 2006 Winter Olympics...

Sleigh Sports

Luge  (0-1) - You'd think that Daria Obratov would improve after working with German team and competing at every World Cup race, season after season. But then again, some random Turkish girl appears out of nowhere and finishes only 0.4 seconds behind Obratov in her first World Cup...

Skeleton  (0) - We participated here once, but also back in the glory days of Croatian winter sport...

Bobsleigh  (0-4) - At least we finally have a team that doesn't finish among last few places in every European cup race. Maybe a chance for bobsleigh comeback.

Team Sports

Curling  (0) - No

Ice Hockey  (0) - No

Total Optimistic Prediction  -  (20)

Total Pessimistic Prediction  - (8)

Total Realistic Prediction  -  (12)

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Alpine Skiing  (0) - No Dutch skier is going to get one top-8 or two top-16 finishes in a World Cup and/or the World Championships unless some miracle happens.

I´m sure at least Adriana Jelinkova will be in PyeongChang :)

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Speed Skating  (20) - Apparently the maximum is 10 men and 10 women and I'd be very surprised if we don't get that maximum. Apart from the women's 500m, we have top-5 skaters in basically every distance and more than one top-10 skater in all of them. 

there no even words to describe such asolute domination in a sport..maybe the China of table tennis :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Just now, hckosice said:

I´m sure at least Adriana Jelinkova will be in PyeongChang :)

there no even words to describe such asolute domination in a sport..maybe the China of table tennis :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

You mean Jelinkova will be in Pyeongchang as spectator or something? Because much as I'd like to see it, I really doubt she'll get one top-8 or two top-16 finishes which is what she needs to qualify :p 

Nah, China is way more dominant in table tennis than we are in speed skating...there's a ton of countries with real medal chances in speed skating, whereas China could basically win all three team medals if they could enter three teams :d  (Korfball, that's where we dominate like India in kabaddi..) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You mean Jelinkova will be in Pyeongchang as spectator or something? Because much as I'd like to see it, I really doubt she'll get one top-8 or two top-16 finishes which is what she needs to qualify :p 

Nah, China is way more dominant in table tennis than we are in speed skating...there's a ton of countries with real medal chances in speed skating, whereas China could basically win all three team medals if they could enter three teams :d  (Korfball, that's where we dominate like India in kabaddi..) 

maybe she has chance to grab a reallocation or so...I mean it´s hardly believable to me to think that she will not compete. :(

Korfball isn´t this basketball mixed teams thing ? :d

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

maybe she has chance to grab a reallocation or so...I mean it´s hardly believable to me to think that she will not compete. :(

Korfball isn´t this basketball mixed teams thing ? :d

Yes it is :p  (and since my parents met there, it's the reason for my existence :lol:)

But a reallocation still won't give you a top-8 or two top-16 finishes, which is what she needs according to our NOC's standards, so it really is highly unlikely unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yes it is :p  (and since my parents met there, it's the reason for my existence :lol:)

But a reallocation still won't give you a top-8 or two top-16 finishes, which is what she needs according to our NOC's standards, so it really is highly unlikely unfortunately. 

ah yes the dutch harsh standards, I forgot about that :wall: oh man, thats incredibly strict..you can´t put all sports in the same bag..it´s absolutely impossible for her to finish in top 8 world cup race with her BIBs..this is so weird and unfair from your NOC. :(:(

ah thats cool :d so you have sport gene in your veins :d