website statistics

Tennis Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

Wanderer

1 godzinę temu, JoshMartini007 napisał:

El Salvador is stronger than those two nations in Olympic qualification. Honduras is almost nothing without football while Panama doesn't have much outside of athletics.

El Salvador is just on the other side of the cut-off for tripartite consideration. They have qualified six athletes without help and will gain two more spots in athletics and swimming through the wild cards so they aren't hurting for spots.

hmm, i`ve always seen Panama as stronger nation, they have already some medals and often are quite close to 1 or 2 each games. El Salvador? Maybe they have 2-3 more qualified athletes but in my private opinion they are weaker than Panama and on similar level as Honduras. I was surprised that those nations were classified to 2 different "divisions".

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

29 minutes ago, Pavlo said:

hmm, i`ve always seen Panama as stronger nation, they have already some medals and often are quite close to 1 or 2 each games. El Salvador? Maybe they have 2-3 more qualified athletes but in my private opinion they are weaker than Panama and on similar level as Honduras. I was surprised that those nations were classified to 2 different "divisions".

I disagree, having one or two good athletes doesn't mean you are good at qualifying. El Salvadorians may not be top level, but they are strong enough to qualify, unlike most of Panama's athletes. Honduras is like Pakistan, they can qualify in team events, inflating their numbers, but overall they are very weak in Olympic qualifying.

I'm not saying El Salvador is clearly better than Panama, but it isn't surprising to see them on the other side of the tripartite line.

Darian King gets wild card to Rio

Darian King is heading to Brazil. Earlier tonight, the nation’s No. 1 tennis player announced he had been given a wild card by the International Tennis Federation to compete. “Olympics Rio 2016- Just received the call and Pleased to announce that I have been given a wildcard from the ITF (International Tennis Federation) and Olympic Committee to participate in the 2016 Rio Olympics!! ‪#‎tryingtomakeit ‪#‎wayupppp‪#‎dreamscomethrough ‪#‎teamking,” King wrote on Facebook. - See more at: http://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/82061/darian-king-wild-card-rio#sthash.xGbir7ZF.dpuf

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Caroline Wozniacki isn’t eligible to compete in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics yet even though she has been picked to carry Denmark’s flag at the Opening Ceremony.

She has appealed against the International Tennis Federation’s decision on eligibility, and Denmark Tennis Federation spokesman Thomas Konigsfeldt said on Friday it was backing her hearing on June 30 during Wimbledon.

The former No. 1-ranked tennis player failed to play the required two Fed Cup ties in the Olympic qualifying period.

Wozniacki was set to meet the Olympic criteria in April against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Cairo. But nine days before the tie, she rolled her right ankle so badly that she didn’t play for 10 weeks until this week in Nottingham, England.

In February, the Danish Olympic Committee chose Wozniacki to be its flagbearer, and she called it “a dream come true.”

28 minutes ago, dareza said:

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Caroline Wozniacki isn’t eligible to compete in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics yet even though she has been picked to carry Denmark’s flag at the Opening Ceremony.

She has appealed against the International Tennis Federation’s decision on eligibility, and Denmark Tennis Federation spokesman Thomas Konigsfeldt said on Friday it was backing her hearing on June 30 during Wimbledon.

The former No. 1-ranked tennis player failed to play the required two Fed Cup ties in the Olympic qualifying period.

Wozniacki was set to meet the Olympic criteria in April against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Cairo. But nine days before the tie, she rolled her right ankle so badly that she didn’t play for 10 weeks until this week in Nottingham, England.

In February, the Danish Olympic Committee chose Wozniacki to be its flagbearer, and she called it “a dream come true.”

She can still be the flag bearer ;), Manny Pacquiao carried the flag for the Philippines at the 2008 Olympics.

I feel the Davis/Fed cup requirements were a bit too harsh and we're seeing it with many top players missing out at the Olympics which will make the sport look bad.

30 minutes ago, Milan said:

Guys like Isner, Thiem and Tomic make it look bad. Wozniacki and many others who in fact don't meet the requirements will probably be allowed to play.

Then what's the point of making the requirements harder if you aren't going to uphold them? The ITF gambled and it looks like they lost.