website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

Stage 1 of the triple jump:

1. Diaz 17.14m

2. Oritsemeyiwa 16.34

Stage 2 of the triple jump:

Diaz starts with 17.04 for a combined 34.18m. Commentator: "That's the gold, it would take a massive improvement of the senior world record for anyone to even challenge him now". 34.19 - 16.34 = 17.85. Almost half a meter less than the senior WR. Get your facts rights, commentator :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

after picking up so many bronze. finally a gold medal in Karate. :clap: the last one actually . interestingly all 3 Iranian girls finished with bronze. all of them lost to eventual champion in semifinal !

so we finished the competition with 7 gold medals. 3 silver and 4 bronze. and if I'm not wrong 7th place in the medal table which is great for a country like Iran. I know this is not really serious competition but still :yes

Edited by MHSN

So, :GBR earns the last gold medal of the Games. :THA lost the chance to reach the top 10 in the medal table, unfortunately.

From the "outside", the Games seemed to have really good organization! I'm impressed! Argentina sometimes let the old rivalry against Brazil get the best ot them (especially in futsal final, when many people wore ARG jerseys and cheered against Brazil) but this is a very very minor complaint. Congratulations to Argentina for an awesome event!

Edited by thiago_simoes

hace 4 minutos, thiago_simoes said:

So, :GBR earns the last gold medal of the Games. :THA lost the chance to reach the top 10 in the medal table, unfortunately.

From the "outside", the Games seemed to have really good organization! I'm impressed! Argentina sometimes let the old rivalry against Brazil get the best ot them (especially in futsal final, when many people wore ARG jerseys and cheered against Brazil) but this is a very very minor complaint. Congratulations to Argentina for an awesome event!

That's only one sport, tame compared to rio 2016 with the crowds shouting "E-LI-MI-NA-DO" to every argentinian athlete that lost, even the random tennis player ranked 60 :lol:

Commentator when seeing the hair of Bulgarian sprinter Vesselin Jivkov: "People pay good money for wigs that big!" :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Question time. This is the standings in the pole vault where I am watching now:

XuTQObr.png

Thiery is the only athlete who still has at least one attempt remaining, all others are out. At this point, how can Furusawa get anything other than silver (apart from post-competition DQ's)? According to the commentator, we 'now have to wait and see what these results will mean in terms of who gets which medals'....

As terrible as the format and commentary is by the way, the awesomeness of this pole vault competition made up for that by a wide margin :bowdown:

3 horas atrás, LDOG disse:

That's only one sport, tame compared to rio 2016 with the crowds shouting "E-LI-MI-NA-DO" to every argentinian athlete that lost, even the random tennis player ranked 60 :lol:

The Brazilian crowd was terrible and they didn't support anyone who was not Brazilian. Argentinian crowd at least showed support for not-so-known countries like Zambia in field hockey. 

But the thing is: prices for the tickets in Rio were way higher than most people could pay, so only Brazilians from the upper middle class (or higher) could pay for the most expensive tickets. Most of these people are mostly ignorant, uneducated and morally reprehensible -- they believe money can buy anything, so they don't really care about the consequences of their actions. I am deeply ashamed of them. But when Argentina had the chance to host the Olympics with free tickets, which means everybody could enjoy all sports a bit, this old and senseless feud between Brazil and Argentina could still be seen, while we should support each other instead. A very minor complaint, as I said, but a complaint, nevertheless.

Ahora, thiago_simoes said:

The Brazilian crowd was terrible and they didn't support anyone who was not Brazilian. Argentinian crowd at least showed support for not-so-known countries like Zambia in field hockey. 

But the thing is: prices for the tickets in Rio were way higher than most people could pay, so only Brazilians from the upper middle class (or higher) could pay for the most expensive tickets. Most of these people are mostly ignorant, uneducated and morally reprehensible -- they believe money can buy anything, so they don't really care about the consequences of their actions. I am deeply ashamed of them. But when Argentina had the chance to host the Olympics with free tickets, which means everybody could enjoy all sports a bit, this old and senseless feud between Brazil and Argentina could still be seen, while we should support each other instead. A very minor complaint, as I said, but a complaint, nevertheless.

Fair. I think futsal (or anything similar to football really) sublimates passions.

I don't know about every venue, but with the only brazilian I saw in competition live (the boxer with dreadlocks that won a medal) received mostly indifferent support (not much rooting for or against, though there were a bunch of brazilians very loudly supporting him).

But then, as you said, the public here was different. Many kids from schools, families from humble neighbourhoods, etc.