website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

Am 19.8.2018 um 21:17 schrieb Olympian1010:

Getting ready for the 2018 Buenos Aires Summer Youth Olympics? Get excited by watching replays from the last Edition here!

I really enjoyed watching athletics and swimming at the 2014 edition. Many of the medal winners are competitive at the senior level now:

Swimming: Romanchuk, Rylov, Chupkov, Watanabe, Zhuhao, Kenderesi, Scott, Chalmers, Duo, Quadarella, Szilagyi

Athletics: Lyles, Thebe, Sibanda, Kejelcha, Lysenko, Bukowiecki, Halasz, Naser, Herman, Levchenko

Tennis: Rublev, Khachanov, Ostapenko, Kasatkina (interestingly enough none of those 4 won an individual gold back then: Kasatkina lost in the 3rd round against Parazinskaite from Lithuania, Ostapenko lost against Buayam from Thailand in the second round, Khachanov lost in the quarterfinal against Yamasaki from Japan and Rublev won the bronze medal, losing against Majchrzak from Poland in the semifinal)

I hope that we will see many breakout performances again this time and of course i am looking forward to see some of the "stars" like Kolesnikov, Milak and Harimoto.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Em 6/13/2018 at 18:39, thiago_simoes disse:

:CAN:ARG:BRA:MEX:PUR:GUA:CRC qualified girls in women's artistic gymnastics.

The US did not try to qualify, despite winning the all-around title at the Pan Am Championships. Panama had an outstanding competition placing two gymnasts among the best, but they cannot qualify for the YOG because both gymnasts were born in 2004, and only gymnasts born in 2003 can qualify. Stupid, stupid, stupid rule. Poor Panama.

Today (August 21) the International Gymnastics Federation announced that Costa Rica officially qualified in women's artistic gymnastics. I figured this out two months ago. This federation is a joke.:roflmao:

Edited by thiago_simoes

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Today (August 21) the International Gymnastics Federation announced that Costa Rica officially qualified in women's artistic gymnastics. I figured this out two months ago. This federation is a joke.:roflmao:

UPAG is even more of a joke lol

10 horas atrás, intoronto disse:

UPAG is even more of a joke lol

They are. It took several months for me to find the complete results of the senior Pan American Championships in artistic gymnastics and post them on Wikipedia. I asked UPAG for help and they only replied thanking me for finding the results, but apparently they didn't even know when the championships were staged or how many were staged.

Edited by thiago_simoes

:GER German team:

https://www.dosb.de/sonderseiten/news/news-detail/news/75-athletinnen-und-athleten-fuer-buenos-aires/?no_cache=1&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=0187ea3cf3d3010aa6353a02850529fc

Badminton: 2 (1/1)

Basketball 3x3: 4 (4/0) (Only the women's team)

Beach volleyball: 2 (0/2)

Archery: 2 (1/1)

Fencing: 2 (0/2)

Golf: 2 (1/1)

Judo: 1 (1/0)

Canoeing sprint: 3 (2/1)

Athletics: 20 (14/6)

Modern pentathlon: 1 (0/1)

Cycling BMX: 4 (2/2)

Rhythmic gymnastics: 1 (1/0)

Wrestling: 1 (1/0)

Rowing: 3 (1/2)

Shooting: 4 (2/2)

Swimming: 8 (4/4)

Sailing: 3 (2/1)

Speed skating: 1 (1/0)

Sport climbing: 1 (1/0)

Tennis: 1 (0/1)

Table tennis: 2 (1/1)

Artistic gymnastics: 2 (1/1)

Taekwondo: 1 (1/0)

Triathlon: 2 (1/1)

Diving: 2 (1/1)

Medal contenders: 14 yo Clea Reisenweber in women's archery, Alexander Czysch/Marie Scheppan/Nick Schmahl/Leni Freyja Wildgrube (all athletics), Lara Marie Lessmann (BMX), Anna Janßen/Maximilian Ulbrich (shooting), Celine Rieder (swimming), Vanessa Beckstein (taekwondo), Elena Wassen (diving), Rudolf Molleker (tennis)

Don't see any way for Germany to win as many medals as in 2014 (25), but this team should win more gold medals than in 2014 (2).

Positively surprised that Molleker will compete there, negatively surprised that Isabel Gose won't (although understandable since she already competed at the junior and senior european championships this year).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

We have the first draw of a team sport, and it's futsal:

Boys

Group A - :ARG :PAN :EGY :SVK :IRQ

Group B - :BRA :CRC :RUS :IRI :SOL 

Girls

Group C - :ESP :THA :TTO :TGA :BOL 

Group D - :POR :CMR :JPN :DOM :CHI 

Apparently Brazil rejected the girls quota last minute. Wikipedia says it was because "they chose to compete in boys futsal" but that makes no sense because in beach handball, rugby and field hockey there are some nations that will play both genders! plus, Brazil didn't qualify for any other girl team sport, so they aren't binded by the "only one team sport for each gender" rule that all countries except us have to follow.

The same happened to Iran girls, is there some special rule for futsal that I don't know about?

Edited by LDOG

I don't know a lot about the situation in Arabic countries, but about Iran girls it might be the some kind religious/political decision (though if they qualified somehow then they "should have the right" to compete, so it might be strange). About Brazil the only thing that comes to my mind is not enough money to send both teams, which seems impossible when it comes to Brazilian football (at least its some kind, though maybe not that popular in Brazil) and travel to the neighbour Argentina.

57 minutes ago, LDOG said:

We have the first draw of a team sport, and it's futsal:

Boys

Group A - :ARG :PAN :EGY :SVK :IRQ

Group B - :BRA :CRC :RUS :IRI :SOL 

Girls

Group C - :ESP :THA :TTO :TGA :BOL 

Group D - :POR :CMR :JPN :DOM :CHI 

Apparently Brazil rejected the girls quota last minute. Wikipedia says it was because "they chose to compete in boys futsal" but that makes no sense because in beach handball, rugby and field hockey there are some nations that will play both genders! plus, Brazil didn't qualify for any other girl team sport, so they aren't binded by the "only one team sport for each gender" rule that all countries except us have to follow.

The same happened to Iran girls, is there some special rule for futsal that I don't know about?

I always like to be located at the host nation group :d