website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2018

Gianlu33

5 minutes ago, LDOG said:

What you have to understand about the ceremonies is that in the city we don't have a single big +50K stadium with the modern standards required by IOC. Obviously building one from scratch wasn't an option because of cost, but the original plan was to do updates to one of the existing ones. However, all football clubs who own the big stadiums didn't want to collaborate with this because they didn't want to move elsewhere for a year or so.

So, the organizers came up with this bullshit opening ceremony in the street (because they had no other option). But because of the utter chaos that the set up for it is causing in traffic these days, they can only do it once (for the opening) and the closing was just discarded.

That's pretty sad..

I'd even appreciate even they have a closing like the Granada 2015 Universiade Opening. IOC shouldn't just force that 50k stadium requirement if they claimed they want "smaller cities" to host. (despite they're crazily optimistic about YOG getting bigger and bigger)

YOG Closing Ceremonies have never mattered anyway, plus closing ceremonies (in general) make me sad, so I’m ok with not making it a big deal.

Honestly they should just have concert in one of the parks for athletes or athletes and spectators and just end the games that way.

I personally think the organizing committee has done a great job and has truly realized what a YOG should look like. I’m pretty hyped for these games (as with every games ever (except Palembang 2018, sorry)) and I can’t wait to watch some awesome athletes the same age as me.

I should’ve tried to qualify in something because I meet all the age requirements :p. If only I had skill (Or actually cared about training hard for competitions)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I can imagine and understand the IOC really going for 50k+ stadiums for the Olympics, since it's kind of the world's biggest sporting event apart from the football World Cup, but they really should accept something smaller for the Youth Olympics...most of the world doesn't even know it exists, let alone that it's going on, why not accept smaller stadiums that can still be filled and make hosting it a lot cheaper?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So, after a 12 hours travel via Vienna-Madrid and Madrid-Buenos Aires altogether with the teams of Belgium and Finland. Team Slovakia successfully landed in Argentina yesterday.

Basically everything was fine, nice sunny weather welcomed them in the airport, the accreditation process was quick and efficient, they also met the designated voluntaries, took the luggage and went to the Olympic village.

They experienced just 2 problems, the team leader had to unexpectedly solve problems with the Argentine SIM cards that for some reasons does not work on phones bought on European market :d and since there was the local football derby River Plate - Independiente schedulled, the surrounding of the stadium was closed which resulted in some troubles with the traffic, but thankfully the willingness and enthusiasm of the organizational team has solved quite quickly both problems, so our team members and leaders are very satisfied and excited about the host work until now.

It was also announced that In the Olympic village we´ll share the building with - surprise, surprise - the Czech team :d

43003381_2059124524132848_33757967278931

42962864_2059124634132837_57062622047942

as you can see in this video after the arrival, everyone is trying to understand why his phone is not working :lol:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I should’ve tried to qualify in something because I meet all the age requirements :p. If only I had skill (Or actually cared about training hard for competitions)

Me too... I wish were inspired by Indonesia and added bridge to the programme... I would have participated at least in qualifiers... Even my 18th birthday is in a couple of days later... On 11th of this month.. So I could have been in qualifying at least :p

22 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Safe to say this is the best results system of the year. 

hace 7 horas, heywoodu said:

I can imagine and understand the IOC really going for 50k+ stadiums for the Olympics, since it's kind of the world's biggest sporting event apart from the football World Cup, but they really should accept something smaller for the Youth Olympics...most of the world doesn't even know it exists, let alone that it's going on, why not accept smaller stadiums that can still be filled and make hosting it a lot cheaper?

No, no, there are two +50K Stadiums in the city (both River and Boca's stadiums). The thing is they don't have the A standard or whatever it's called that the modern stadiums you see in Europe have. Both stadiums are quite old and haven't had improvements in 2 decades at least.

30 minutes ago, LDOG said:

No, no, there are two +50K Stadiums in the city (both River and Boca's stadiums). The thing is they don't have the A standard or whatever it's called that the modern stadiums you see in Europe have. Both stadiums are quite old and haven't had improvements in 2 decades at least.

I know (mostly since I happened to read a little about the Superclasico last week or something), but I mean for the Youth Olympics the IOC should also easily accept a stadium that's much smaller. What's wrong if you can fill a stadium with, say, 8000 people for the Youth Olympics? It sounds like the IOC treats it like an event that's somewhat close to the Olympics in terms of how 'big of a deal' it is, but it's really not and should be treated much less 'strict'..

Anyway, these Games haven't even started yet, I'm going in with a hopeful mind to see a nice Youth Olympics :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!