website statistics

Road Cycling 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nothing is normal today. Another crash with a motorbike! Antoine Demoitié (BEL) of Wanty-Groupe Gobert is today's victim in Gent-Wevelgem and according to his team he is in "extremely serious" condition in the intensive care unit. Another Belgian cyclist has even already said "RIP Antoine" on Twitter, suggesting he has died...so far his team hasn't confirmed that..

this is terrible :cry:

5 minutes ago, hckosice said:

this is terrible :cry:

To be fair, it looks like it's not the fault of the motor rider. Eye witnesses apparently said Demoitié fell and then got hit by a motorbike who couldn't avoid him anymore. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Agger said:

Seems like media hasn't heard about it. Keeping my fingers crossed for him. :(

Belgian media announced his death a while ago, but that was just based on the other cyclist (David Boucher). After that, his team wrote a tweet saying he is in "serious condition".

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

This source seems to be suggesting it has been confirmed by some family members....

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-carnet-noir-antoine-demoitie-decede-sur-gand-wevelgem-57518.html

Until it's officially announced, I'm hoping beyond hope that it won't be true.

Edited by OlympicIRL

12 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

This source seems to be suggesting it has been confirmed by some family members....

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-carnet-noir-antoine-demoitie-decede-sur-gand-wevelgem-57518.html

Until it's officially announced, I'm hoping beyond hope that it won't be true.

The report linked in my last message has now been updated to say nothing has been confirmed. I'm still hoping.

Apart from the official team account, I would only really trust this one:

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/with_replies

She's their press officer and is of course well informed in this case.

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Belgian media announced his death a while ago, but that was just based on the other cyclist (David Boucher). After that, his team wrote a tweet saying he is in "serious condition".

I have seen both the twitter and facebook posts, and am not surprised that belgian media has seen it, but it seems like the cycling sites haven't seen it.