website statistics

Karate 2016 Discussion Thread

bestmen

50 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Just read in our medias that the 3 selectioned womens Kumite categories for Tokyo 2020 will be the -55kg, -61kg and +61kg. and only 10 athletes will participate in each category, continental champions, world champion and others according to world ranking.

but can´t find anywhere anything to prove the source :mirror:, but well, since it´s the head coach of our NT who said that, I think it should be credible :d

source in svk (In the last quote part of the article) http://sport.aktuality.sk/c/244678/karate-bronzove-z-ms-suchankova-a-tatarova-s-velkou-sancou-do-tokia/

I also read about Men's -67kg, -75kg and +75kg weights as the Olympic classes...

the only source that seems to confirm that is here:

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/karate-tokyo-olympic-2020/

frankly, I don't know if he's a reliable source or not...I hope he is...

I think that now we can take it for granted...:evil:;)

the main Olympic Sports portal in Italy has also published an article about Karate at the next Olympic Games, indicating a WKF Tweet as the original official source...

and basically it's all confirmed...

the 3 weight classes will be the already said -55kg, -61kg, +61kg for the girls and -67kg, -75kg, +75kg for the boys...

moreover, it's explained that in each class there will be a Japanese athlete, 1 athlete named by the WKF/Tripartite Commission (which of the 2 committee, it's not specified) with a Wild Card and 8 qualified athletes on the basis of a World Ranking that will take into consideration World Championships (with big bonus points), Continental Championships and a few other tournaments (especially the Premier League ones) where it will be possible to sum up useful points...

other news are about the tournament format, which will be contested over 2  days (2 male and 2 female events per day) and, at least according to the current proposal, each Kumite class will be played with 2 poules of 5 athletes facing each other in a round robin, with the first 2 of each poule going through to the semifinals (which also means that only 1 Bronze medal per class will be awarded)...

p.s. it's more than just a rumor the new rule on penalties that they want to put in place...

according to the same sources, the idea is to put together in a single "penalty count" the current C1 and C2 type of warnings, allowing each athlete to sum up only a maximum of 5 of them, with the 6th representing the end of the bout...

here's the article (in Italian only, unfortunately)

http://www.oasport.it/2016/11/karate-80-atleti-alle-olimpiadi-a-tokyo-tre-categorie-di-kumite-e-una-di-kata-per-entrambi-i-sessi-le-modalita-di-qualificazione/

Edited by phelps

A round robin format and only 1 bronze medal would be a very good idea. Double bronzes in sports like judo are stupid and so are knock-out-only formats for events with extremely little competitors (like 10). 

So each class will have 10 athletes, like this?

- 1 from Japan

- 1 wild card

- 8 through world rankings

Or like this?

- 1 from Japan

- 1 wild card

- 1 world champion

- 5 continental champions

- 2 through world rankings

That's confusing :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

according to the Italian website, the option #1 is the one in place at the moment...

personally, I'd prefer something like this:

- 1 World Champion

- 1 Wild Card

- 0 or 1 Japanese athletes (I'd give them only half the places as Host Country quota and leave them a chance to qualify on the mat in the other events)

- 7 or 8 (depending on the qualification of a Japanese athlete) qualified through ranking

but I know that's not even on the table...so, I guess that the first option is the best one (if compared with the other you named)...

Edited by phelps

I like this qualification format but I believe they will save few spots for each continent, something like having the best ranked athlete (or two best) in all weights from Oceania or something like that.

by the way I like having group stage but with groups of 5 athletes, some of them will lose motivation after losing 2 matches and that won't be fair. I would like to see group winners going to the final directly and 2nd and 3rd placers playing against each other for joint bronze medals. (2nd group A against 3rd Group B )

not having 60kg is not a good news for us since our best Karateka is in this weight but well we are talking about 4 years from now, too early to even think about which Karateka will be there !

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

by the way I like having group stage but with groups of 5 athletes, some of them will lose motivation after losing 2 matches and that won't be fair. I would like to see group winners going to the final directly and 2nd and 3rd placers playing against each other for joint bronze medals. (2nd group A against 3rd Group B )

Why not let the two group winners fight for gold and the two 2nd place finishers fight for one bronze medal? Artificially creating another bronze medal like that is just...silly :dunno:

In the case of boxing I get it, because of the injury issue and the possibility of not having a 3rd place fight at all, but in all other combat sports it just seems so weird to have two bronze medals, and even more so if you're working with two groups where this entire problem can so easily be avoided. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Why not let the two group winners fight for gold and the two 2nd place finishers fight for one bronze medal? Artificially creating another bronze medal like that is just...silly :dunno:

In the case of boxing I get it, because of the injury issue and the possibility of not having a 3rd place fight at all, but in all other combat sports it just seems so weird to have two bronze medals, and even more so if you're working with two groups where this entire problem can so easily be avoided. 

Actually I was more thinking about involving the 3rd placer into the medal matches, giving more motivation to everybody in the group stage, with only 2 advancing, some will lose motivation too early which will benefit some other athlete in a not-fair way.

Just now, MHSN said:

Actually I was more thinking about involving the 3rd placer into the medal matches, giving more motivation to everybody in the group stage, with only 2 advancing, some will lose motivation too early which will benefit some other athlete in a not-fair way.

So let the 2nd and 3rd place finishers fight each other, and then let the winners fight for one bronze medal. There are only 10 participants, I honestly can't see anything good about having 40% of the participants win a medal.. 

Bronze semi-final 1: A2 - B3

Bronze semi-final 2: A3 - B2

Bronze medal match: A2/B3 - A3/B2 --> one bronze medal winner

So , as long as we have olympic weights like taekwondo , we should have olympic ranking and as long as next wch will be a qualifying event for olympics , we should have olympic weights , for example adding 60 and 67 in one weight category and -84 , +84 in also one weight category , or will we have world champion of each weight qualify ? and the same thing applies in continental championships if it'll be a qualifying event for olympics , another question will karate be an olympic sport for long life , or just for the next OG under host selection process ? 

Edited by thepharoah