website statistics

Rowing Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

First time since 1952 that we wont have anyone in mens/womens single, cant say that i am surprised. We clearly concentrate on mens eight, mens/womens quadruple sculls, we will see in Rio whether it was the right decision.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Apparently there's a row going on in rowing, with Belgium winning one of the events but not being allowed to compete? This is what Mahe Drysdale says about it:

World Rowing @worldrowing I think you need to seriously consider a tripartite place for Belgium at Olympics! We want the best crews in Rio and to have one of the best crews sitting at home because effectively you are taking 1 of 2 crews away from Belgium (total crews at Olympics would be 1) that they have legitimately earned to give to Denmark (taking their total to 6 crews) is just not right and makes no sense no matter what the rules say! This is a stupid rule in this case and some common sense is needed and this rule needs to change before the next Olympic cycle. The fastest crews deserve to be at the Olympics!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently there's a row going on in rowing, with Belgium winning one of the events but not being allowed to compete? This is what Mahe Drysdale says about it:

16 minutes ago, dareza said:

Thanks. Poor Belgium and indeed so incredibly unfair that it goes to a country that'll now have 6 boats :( 

I hope more athletes like Drysdale stand behind Belgium in this case.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You better inform him that Belgium is not a Tripartite nation. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

You better inform him that Belgium is not a Tripartite nation. :p

He knows, I guess it was a poor choice of words :p

The point is that obviously it's absolutely stupid that the Belgian quota now goes to a nation that already has 5 qualified boats. This isn't helping diversity in the smallest bit, which in the end was the goal of these rules wasn't it? 

One big "meh" for this situation. :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

He knows, I guess it was a poor choice of words :p

The point is that obviously it's absolutely stupid that the Belgian quota now goes to a nation that already has 5 qualified boats. This isn't helping diversity in the smallest bit, which in the end was the goal of these rules wasn't it? 

One big "meh" for this situation. :facepalm:

Yeah, I guess this wasn't a goal of this rule. Bahamas and Angola for example profited from this rule, that's ok. Denmark getting additional boat is not so good (especially if the one who is losing it has much fewer boats qualified).

But I don't think any special provisions will be made.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

The rule was in place to prevent dominant nations from Africa/Asia/Pan America from taking all of the quotas. The scenario you see with Belgium is a bit of an exception to what World Rowing wanted to achieve, but at the same time it is unfair to Egypt/China/Japan/Brazil etc. if European nations can have an additional opportunity to qualify in both single sculls and lightweight double sculls.

I guess the best scenario for next time would be to have a separate qualifying event so we can avoid this confusion or remove the European continental qualifiers and just have it open to all nations.