website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games 2016 Official Thread

uk12points

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I believe most (if not all) of us are aware of the many difficulties India goes through, and sport -- even for able-bodied persons -- does not seem to be a priority for the government. However, their population is around 1 billion and 300 million people. Based on this absolutely humongous number of people alone, it is puzzling that India's athletes still fall behind at the world stage. It's impossible for me to think that all Indian athletes are absolutely deprived of good facilities and coaches. Also, it's impossible for me to think that no private companies decide to sponsor individual athletes. We have seen some incredible performances from a very poor nation like Kenya, so why does India still struggle so hard? Money is not the only deciding factor, and politics is definitely not the only reason for success.

It very much seems to be the case in whole South Asia, not just India. Bangladesh and Pakistan also have no results despite huge population. Though I guess that is partly because they are very much focused on some non-Olympic sports. Throw cricket and kabaddi in and you'll see them on the podium.

#banbestmen