website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games 2016 Official Thread

uk12points

Quite shocking that Japan didn't win a single gold medal, but just like Uzbekistan did it in Rio, I think they will improve greatly in four years.

Happy about the 72 medals of Brazil, it will be a long time until we manage to win that many medals again. Rio 2016 is over, I'm sad.

4 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Amazing games for us, we back in the top 10 :cry: The last time was in 1972 :clap: 

That's a surprising stat! I know Italy haven't done so well recently but I would never have guessed that they had been in the relative doldrums that long. I've been wondering why the big European countries like France, Germany and Italy haven't been performing as strongly at the Paralympics as they do at the Olympics in recent cycles.

19 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I don't think you should be too amazed! After all China's vast population means that they can find athletes to compete across many more classes than most other countries.

Well, India too has a vast population but it's not easy to for them to get as much success as their Chinese counterparts. I think it's only the third time in the Paralympics history that a country got 100 plus gold medals at a single edition. 

Edited by opruh

Il y a 10 heures , Nickyc707 a déclaré:

That's a surprising stat! I know Italy haven't done so well recently but I would never have guessed that they had been in the relative doldrums that long. I've been wondering why the big European countries like France, Germany and Italy haven't been performing as strongly at the Paralympics as they do at the Olympics in recent cycles.

No one cares, basically.

17 golds and 7th in the medal table, our most succesful Paralympics (in terms of position on the medal table) since 7th place in 1984 and this time coming in 7th of course means a lot more than in those years (when there were far, far fewer competitive nations) :clap:

And even more cool that a guy from the small 'company' where I study managed to win silver in his first Paralympics :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, opruh said:

Well, India too has a vast population but it's not easy to for them to get as much success as their Chinese counterparts. I think it's only the third time in the Paralympics history that a country got 100 plus gold medals at a single edition. 

The difference between India and China is that the former is a democracy  with other social and economic priorities, while the latter is a one party state which is able to direct it's resources in whatever direction it chooses in order to project itself in the world.

According to China's own journal the Beijing Review  the country has 85 million disabled people which is more than the entire populations of most of the world's nation states. This vast pool enables them to compete in almost every Paralympic class in each sport which other countries cannot do. China did very well. My only point is that it should not be surprising given the massive advantage they enjoy and it certainly isn't amazing as you described it.  :cool:

Edited by Nickyc707