website statistics

If you could create new Olympic Events...

intoronto

3 hours ago, Joshi said:

If you take out Table Tennis and Badminton out of the Olys that's a whole lot of TV revenue for the IOC gone. You'd be a fool to take those sports out. It's common knowledge that TT in particular draws some of the biggest TV revenues. It's all about the dollar, not what country is dominating a particular sport, so it's a reason enough to be gone. 

Television revenus are at an all time high. Broadcasters continue to pay a ridiculous amount to show them. Tt beimg dropped will not make a difference.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Television revenus are at an all time high. Broadcasters continue to pay a ridiculous amount to show them. Tt beimg dropped will not make a difference.

It will in the Asian market. There's a reason why table tennis (and badminton) are safely in the third tier of revenue sharing for 2016. Honestly unless the sport is in the bottom two tiers of revenue sharing I doubt there will be any danger of them being dropped. Golf and rugby sevens were automatically placed in group E so their position within the Olympic community will change.

Group A. Aquatics, athletics, gymnastics.

Group B Basketball, cycling, football, tennis, volleyball.

Group C Archery, badminton, boxing, judo, rowing, shooting, table tennis, weightlifting.

Group D Canoe/kayak, equestrian, fencing, handball, hockey, sailing, taekwondo, triathlon, wrestling.

Group E Modern pentathlon, golf, rugby.

Edited by JoshMartini007

Il y a 2 heures , orangeman a déclaré:

Is it one of the most played sports in the Olympics, though?  I'd like to see numbers on that.  And I don't mean 500 million players in China.  I mean seriously competitive leagues in many countries around the world.

Germany  (TischTennis + Gesamnt ): 570 655 

France (Tennis de Table + Nbre de Lincences): 197 797

Here, by these two countries alone, there are close to 800K registered players (there are not your average garage players btw, but people that are registered through their clubs, that train and play official competitions week in and week out). This number alone would easely smash the overall particpation level of many olympic sport (have you met any syncro swimmer lately ?),

It not like people in other countries don't try, but it's not like they're facing competition from Aruba neither, We are talking about a 1.5 billion people country ffs.

Five new sports in Tokyo 2020:

baseball and softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing and surfing

Sugestion for new sports

futsal,

beach soccer

beach handball

jiu jitsu

wushu

kick box

auto moto sports including Formula 1

powerboating

air sports

water skiing

American football

snooker

soft tennis

New athletics disciplines

cross country

road races 5k 10k 15k 20k, half marathon, multi day races, relays...

4x200m, 4x800m, 4x1500m

4x100m mixed, 4x400m mixed (two man and two women)

8x100m, 8x400m

team heptatlon and decatlon

team long jump, triple jup, pole vault, shot put, high jump, javeli discus, hammer

team races

New Swimming disciplines

from world championships

50m, buterfly, backstroke, breaststroke

800m men

1500m women

4x100m freestyle mixed

4x100m medley mixed

total new

4x200m medley

4x200m frestyle mixed

4x200m medley mixed

team swimming (three or more swimmers) For example three backstroke swimmers, swim 3 races

open water swimming 5k, 10k (exist on olympics), 25k, team (men, women, mixed)

swimming in large pools (100m pool, 200m pool, 400m pool or 1000m pool)

swimming in rowing canoeing lakes 200m, 500m, 1000m, 2000m

Rowing Canoeing

all disciplines from world championships

Team sports (water polo, basketball, handball, volleyball)

instead 12 teams, 24 teams

Age categories

Under 23

Senior 24-33

master 33+

Jovica Raicki Android Developer

13 hours ago, rjovica said:

Five new sports in Tokyo 2020:

baseball and softball, karate, roller sports, sport climbing and surfing

Sugestion for new sports

futsal,

beach soccer

beach handball

jiu jitsu

wushu

kick box

auto moto sports including Formula 1

powerboating

air sports

water skiing

American football

snooker

soft tennis

New athletics disciplines

cross country

road races 5k 10k 15k 20k, half marathon, multi day races, relays...

4x200m, 4x800m, 4x1500m

4x100m mixed, 4x400m mixed (two man and two women)

8x100m, 8x400m

team heptatlon and decatlon

team long jump, triple jup, pole vault, shot put, high jump, javeli discus, hammer

team races

New Swimming disciplines

from world championships

50m, buterfly, backstroke, breaststroke

800m men

1500m women

4x100m freestyle mixed

4x100m medley mixed

total new

4x200m medley

4x200m frestyle mixed

4x200m medley mixed

team swimming (three or more swimmers) For example three backstroke swimmers, swim 3 races

open water swimming 5k, 10k (exist on olympics), 25k, team (men, women, mixed)

swimming in large pools (100m pool, 200m pool, 400m pool or 1000m pool)

swimming in rowing canoeing lakes 200m, 500m, 1000m, 2000m

Rowing Canoeing

all disciplines from world championships

Team sports (water polo, basketball, handball, volleyball)

instead 12 teams, 24 teams

Age categories

Under 23

Senior 24-33

master 33+

Cycling road new olympic disciplines

team road race men, women, mixed

team time trial men, women, mixed

olympic multi stage race (five days, five stages)

Combination events (athletics, swimming)

1500m + 100m athletics

1500m + 100m swimming

high jump + triple jump

high jump + pole vault

100m buterfly + 50m freestyle two races

100m freestyle + 50m buterfly two races

200m backstroke + 200m buterfly two races and similar combinations

team hurdles 100m women + 110m men

Jovica Raicki Android Developer

On 8/27/2016 at 04:30, vovanA said:

noone mentions futsal or beach football... i think they can alternate useless u23 men's event. women will keep playing football and men will play futsal and beach football

One has to remember that the Olympics cannot realistically be about only minority sports, because the huge casual fan-base that justifies the TV rights millions that fund said minority sports is hugely boosted by the 'popular' sports. an example is the golf, which was a shambles in terms of getting the best male players in....but had HUGE viewing figures, both in Golfing countries, but also in other places. Justin Rose, a previous major winner who won the men's event (and rightfully so, he and Steenson having backed the event to the hilt were worthy medalists) has stated that he did the Olympics knowing there was no money in it, for the glory and the atmosphere...but then said he was stunned when his agent told him he had more big international sponsor interest in 48 HOURS  after the Olympic gold than in the TWO MONTHS after winning the major (the US Open). That's the Olympic global impact - even the refusniks like McIlroy have blatantly admitted they got it hopelessly wrong - just like Tennis, as I predicted, within 8-12 years (2-3 cycles) the Olympic Golf will be considered second only to the Majors, and up there with Ryder Cup.

Football falls in the same issue, but I think Rugby has shown a way out. The Sevens was a HUGE success, and I suspect will be in the Games for decades to come - so concise, so exciting, so cheap to stage, small teams...perfect. Beach volleyball too. So yes, the football tourney is neither fish nor foul, on the mens' side - I'd leave the women's as it is, it's respected and loved, but I think there's a huge argument for the introduction of Futsal instead of the 11 a side game for men - it would be the elite of that form of the game, smaller teams so fewer athletes to house and feed, and much quicker to run

As for the rest, well, my 2p/2c/ 2 drachma/2 rupees:

Archery - reduce individual fields to 48 from 64 by removal of the third archer from the teams (12 per gender) and another 4. So instead of 12 x 3(36) + 28 x 1(=64, repping 40 countries), you have 12 x 2(24) + 24 x 1 (48 repping 36 countries).

Introduce a sudden death repechage round after first round of individual events - so 48 becomes 24 - the 24 'losers' go into 8 3-archer sudden death matches, 8 winners join earlier 24 to make a 32 archer second round and then knockout - end up with exactly same number of matches per event as we currently have (32+16+8+4+2+2) becomes (24+8+16+8+4+2+2)

Then convert the two team events, into a single, mixed gender event with 4 archers, 2 per gender, per team. once can either keep the four seed bye system or introduce another version of sudden death repechage - 6 first round matches, 2 three team sudden death repechages for the losers, followed by quarters, etc.

The big advantage of repechages is every archer gets guaranteed two matches, while still maintaining a strong peril element. So we end up with 3 events instead of four, but every archer still with the chance to win 2 golds, and 96 archers instead of 128 (a saving of 32 athletes, which can then be redistributed to other sports, or even used up by Archery in another form of the sport, such as Field or 3D archery - personally, I'd redistribute)

Athletics

The big beast, with over 2000 athletes per Games. Hard to know where to slice and dice here, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Regularise the gendering in the walks, preferably with the removal of the 50k men's event.

2. A maximum of two per nation in the field events.

3. A significant reduction in Marathon and 100 metre fields.

Aquatics

Swimming - number 2 only to the Athletics, but again some pruning should be possible.

The fields of the 50 m freestyle are far too big.

The mixed gender medley relays work exceptionally well at World and continental level - may be worth adding if it can be done with no extra numbers of swimmers. Perhaps, dare I suggest, a super maxi event involving 8 legs - 4 men, 4 women, all 4 strokes - although the two backstroke legs may prove an issue here.

Consideration to be given to making the 200 'stroke' events - back, breast and fly, into 400 metre, genuine endurance events...too  many athletes find the 100, 200 double too easy, and it leads to swollen medal tally's as compared to other sports - make the distinction between speed and endurance within stroke  bigger.

Diving

We could shave down the individual events by about 4 divers each, and perhaps consideration could be given, as in the synchro events, to a one diver per event maximum. One should probably be able to carry over your first round score into the semi - and totalise them rather than blanking slates - because the Tom Daley situation (aceing the first round with vast score, only to bomb out in semi) seemed a bit silly to be honest.

The addition of a mixed gender team event might be fun, on the proviso it required no extra divers and used only already qualified ones - 2 dives per diver, 1 male and 1 female platform, 1 male and 1 female springboard. May require a certain jiggering around with qualification to ensure X teams can field, but again, no increase in overall numbers - and a team aggregate event of individual divers would be a completely different test than synchro.

In short, I think it should be perfectly possible to have 9 events instead of 8, AND increase podium diversity while actually marginally reducing numbers.

TBC....

On 8/27/2016 at 04:30, vovanA said:

noone mentions futsal or beach football... i think they can alternate useless u23 men's event. women will keep playing football and men will play futsal and beach football

...Cont'd

Open Water swimming

No changes except tighten up the officiating

Water Polo

Reduce the men's field from 12 to 10, increase the women's field from 8 to 10 - total change in athletes, nil

Synchro swimming

Remove from the Games; already difficult both as a judged sport, and a single gender sport, it's also too heavily into the 'art' element rather than the 'sport' - judging is one thing, artistic impression is another

*Addition* : High Dive - outdoor super high platform

The diving equivalent of the open water swim, a relatively small field of 24 athletes, 12 men and 12 women, could provide an extraordinarily visual spectacle - no synchro, no team, just 12 divers per gender doing 5 dives. the 24 athletes could be found using only a fraction of the places previously used in synchro swimming, so aquatics would be introducing gender neutral, televisual event, and still 'saving' athlete numbers. Plus, inexpensive to stage.

Basketball.

This is tricky. Possibly the most predictable event in the Games, the sport is widely popular, yet at elite level completely concentrated in one country - see also Baseball, except worse. Unlike Football, however, the event is taken seriously. My suggestions :

Reduce fields by two teams to ten, and have a single table format, leading to a 'league stage' of 9 matches, and a staggered 6 team playoff - 3 v 6, 4 v 5 - w1 v 2, w2 v 1 - w1 v w2(gold/silver), l1 v l2(bronze) - the 'athlete saving' (24 ballers per gender)to then be moved to the following:

*Addition* - Basketball 3 x 3

I think this addition, along the same lines as Beach volleyball and rugby sevens, appealing to the Urban roots of the game - i..e played on a concrete half court, short sharp timeframe, possibly in a pretty open 'street' venue would do more for the sport than anything else.  12/16 teams of three per gender, soaking up the 24 athletes released by the team reduction in the full court version, and a relatively small number (24) of additional athletes.

Badminton

Replace group stages in the individual event with a repechage system. Slight reduction in numbers in the individual events from 41/40 as in Rio to a straight 32, 32 (saving 17 athletes)

Boxing :

Addition of two women's weights, reallocation of qualification places  as follows

Rio was :

Men    22 26 28 28 28 28 28 26 18 18 Women     12 12 12 Total     286

Should become

Men     24 24 24 24 24 24 24 24 16 16 Women     12 12 12  12  12 Total   284

Fairer, but no extra athletes needed - also 24 is just more sensible in straight knockout numbers than 28

Baseball/Softball

No re-entry until MLB accepts and co-operates. Their refusal makes a mockery of the coming tournament

tbc....

Il y a 1 heure , mpjmcevoy a déclaré:

1. Regularise the gendering

That sentance...

mister%20mystere.gif

PS: 3x3 basketball is decade(s) away to be a competitive enough sport on its own. We are talking 1996 rugby seven at this point.

PS2: sorry to disrepute...

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

That sentance...

mister%20mystere.gif

PS: 3x3 basketball is decade(s) away to be a competitive enough sport on its own. We are talking 1996 rugby seven at this point.

PS2: sorry to disrepute...

I merely meant even up the number of events for men and women - I was not making any comment on the hyperandrogenism/intersex/transsex debate!!