website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

50 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

I am sad not flag bears the following sports: rhythmic gymnastics, hockey, triathlon beachvolleyball and football

India had for most of our olympics a flagbearer from Hockey ...but the last few olympics as our hockey team has slid down we have people from Individual sports but I am shocked about football 

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

12 minutes ago, nitinsanker said:

India had for most of our olympics a flagbearer from Hockey ...but the last few olympics as our hockey team has slid down we have people from Individual sports but I am shocked about football 

No football player selected as flag bearer is not at all surprising considering 1) only few stars as the tournament is basically U23 and 2) football tournament is already underway. Majority of football squads might skip opening ceremony.

:COL 

Due to security reasons the IOC now won't allow Jossimar Calvo to leave during the ceremony so it's been decided that Yuri Alvear (Judo 70k) will be the flagbearer tomorrow

EDIT: We now reach a streak of 5 female flagbearers in a row (6 if we include the winter games) and no male flagbearers this century/millenium.

Edited by carivan

Therese Alshammar (swimming, multiple world champion and former world record holder and swimmer of the year with Olympic medals from Sydney) is participating in her 6th olympics and Will bear the swedish flag

Edited by Swewi