website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

15 minutos atrás, zob79 disse:

I see you're from Brazil; can you please enlighten me what's with this Zika-mania? some other athletes retired or are thinking to retire because of this fukin mosquito

I just think it's a dumb reason not to come to Brazil. First of all, some people are treating the zika virus like it's ebola or something, which is not. Second of all, Brazil managed to make the risk of getting zika extremely unlikely during the Olympics (some studies give a probability that 15 people will get the virus during that time, this includes our own population). Below we have a comparassion of new cases throughout the last months: 16.069 cases in the third week of February / 12 cases in the last week of May (remember this includes all cases in Brazil, not only Rio).

So, if an athlete wanna blame other things, be our guest, but using the zika virus as an excuse not to come seems like something that belongs to athletes that wouldn't have come to the Olympics anyway (like top golfers).

13511013_1271348752883738_21332856576068

Danka Barteková  https://www.facebook.com/Danka-Barteková-211370015556251/

I'm excited to travel to Rio soon and don't let minimal Zika risk to affect my participation. Number of mosquitoes is very low in brasilian winter time and there is many means how to protect ourselves against their bites.. WHO advice says no need to worry if athletes follow simple rules. I'm convinced basic steps to prevent mosquito bites and immunization will help me to stay safe and healthy. I won't give up a chance to represent my country and compete under 5 rings because of the potential mosquito bites..

13567375_1377632652263309_10030007409589

13537533_1377638125596095_82502408877518

23 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

I just think it's a dumb reason not to come to Brazil. First of all, some people are treating the zika virus like it's ebola or something, which is not. Second of all, Brazil managed to make the risk of getting zika extremely unlikely during the Olympics (some studies give a probability that 15 people will get the virus during that time, this includes our own population). Below we have a comparassion of new cases throughout the last months: 16.069 cases in the third week of February / 12 cases in the last week of May (remember this includes all cases in Brazil, not only Rio).

So, if an athlete wanna blame other things, be our guest, but using the zika virus as an excuse not to come seems like something that belongs to athletes that wouldn't have come to the Olympics anyway (like top golfers).

People love hysteria. Ebola was very popular in 2014, to an extent that Liberia and Sierra Leone were banned from competing at YOG... I haven't heard anything about Ebola for at least one year, it magically vanished. ;)

#banbestmen

Bartekova had to take voice in such a matter - she's IOC Athletes' Commission member, she is expected to give any advices by both sides - by athletes, to help them with her experience and position in the athletes' environment, and by the IOC, to influence colleague athletes not to resign from start in Rio.

34 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Simona Halep was very excited by the prospect of winning an Olympic medal; I don't think she's acting, like the golfers do, but I guess she's really confused about all the talk and the hysteria related to zika. Today, another Romanian tennis player, Monica Niculescu, said she has doubts about going to Rio. According to gsp Niculescu also said that some other tennis players (eg: Berdych) are considering to not participate in Rio

7 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Bartekova had to take voice in such a matter - she's IOC Athletes' Commission member, she is expected to give any advices by both sides - by athletes, to help them with her experience and position in the athletes' environment, and by the IOC, to influence colleague athletes not to resign from start in Rio.

and she did it :)

11 minutos atrás, zob79 disse:

Simona Halep was very excited by the prospect of winning an Olympic medal; I don't think she's acting, like the golfers do, but I guess she's really confused about all the talk and the hysteria related to zika. Today, another Romanian tennis player, Monica Niculescu, said she has doubts about going to Rio. According to gsp Niculescu also said that some other tennis players (eg: Berdych) are considering to not participate in Rio

It also should be noted that Rio had a lot of test events/competitions during the zika outbreak from January through March (including Gymnastics), and things went well regarding the athletes' health. I understand the fears, especially by what have been said in the media. Personally, I think that's not a reason to miss the Games, but athletes have different priorities and know what's better for them.

8 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

It also should be noted that Rio had a lot of test events/competitions during the zika outbreak from January through March (including Gymnastics), and things went well regarding the athletes' health. I understand the fears, especially by what have been said in the media. Personally, I think that's not a reason to miss the Games, but athletes have different priorities and know what's better for them.

That's true. I talked with Oktawia Nowacka just after Modern Pentathlon World Cup in Rio in March. That's what she said "I didn't feel any danger. We were asked to use the anti-mosquito sprays and that's all but there wasn't many insects." It was March, end of summer, beginning of autumn. Now it's winter in Brazil so insects should be "sleeping".