Day 13 (February 22nd)

Alpine Skiing

Men's Slalom: 5:00pm

Team USA

David Chodounsky

Mark Engel
Nolan Kasper

Thoughts/Background Information

Not a really good medal chance in this one.

Women's Combined:

Downhill: 6:30pm

Slalom: 10:00pm

Team USA

Alice Merryweather

Mikaela Shiffrin
Lindsey Vonn

We have one of the best downhillers in the world and one of the best slalom skiers in the world. They need to be good in the other's discipline to win this race, and I think Mikaela has a strong advantage to do that.

Biathlon

Women's 4x6km Relay - 3:15am

Team USA

Susan Dunklee

Clare Egan

Emily Dreissigacker

Madeleine Phaneuf

Joanne Reid

Considering that we didn't get a top 50 in the sprint, I'm not hopeful for a good finish in the relay.

Curling

Men's

:USA United States of America vs Canada :CAN - 3:05am

Team USA

John Shuster

Tyler George

Matt Hamilton

John Landsteiner

Team Canada

Kevin Koe

Marc Kennedy

Brent Laing

Ben Hebert

Ooooooooh, boy! Here we go! Semifinals for the men. Winner goes to the final, loser to the bronze medal match. USA won the prelim game, but these are the Canadians, man. This would be the first time they wouldn't make the final if they lost.

Freestyle Skiing

Men's Ski Halfpipe  - 6:30pm

Team USA

Aaron Blunck

Alex Ferreira

David Wise

Torin Yater-Wallace

We have 4 of the top halfpipe skiers ever. Honestly, we could medal sweep. 

Ice Hockey

Women's

:USA United States of America vs Canada :CAN - 8:10pm

[I don't want to type all of their names]

THIS IS IT! The Gold Medal game! Get freakin hyped. The best rivalry in hockey, part...I don't even know at this point

Nordic Combined

Team Large Hill/4x5km  - 6:30pm

Team USA

Bryan Fletcher

Taylor Fletcher

Ben Berend

Ben Loomis

It's a decent team, but not one that will likely win a medal.

Snowboard

Women's Big Air - 4:30pm

Team USA

Jamie Anderson

Jessika Jenson

Julia Marino

Not the best Qualification results for these guys, but still, it's Big Air, anything's possible.

:USA  Team USA 2018 - Winter Olympics Results :USA

Day 13 (February 22nd)

Alpine Skiing

Men's Slalom

Team USA

David Chodounsky - 18th

Mark Engel - 31st
Nolan Kasper - DNF

Recap

Not the worst result. Not the best. Pretty okay with this.

Women's Combined:

Team USA

Alice Merryweather - 15th

Mikaela Shiffrin - 2nd
Lindsey Vonn - DNF

Recap

Vonn going out on the slalom was a huge loss for the US. But Mikaela Shiffrin did a great job in both runs. Alice Merryweather did a good job finishing both runs.

Biathlon

Women's 4x6km Relay

Team USA

Susan Dunklee - 13th

Clare Egan- 13th

Emily Dreissigacker- 13th

Joanne Reid- 13th

Recap

Susan Dunklee did a great job starting off, but our follow up wasn't quite there, as Emily and Joanna did, honestly, a pretty poor job shooting. Hopefully this team can improve.

Curling

Men's

:USA United States of America 3 vs 5 Canada :CAN 

Team USA

John Shuster

Tyler George

Matt Hamilton

John Landsteiner

Team Canada

Kevin Koe

Marc Kennedy

Brent Laing

Ben Hebert

Recap

INCREDIBLE! What an upset! America is going to its first final, while Canada will not be going for the first time! And this is the second win for Shuster against Canada. What a Games for this team!

Freestyle Skiing

Men's Ski Halfpipe

Team USA

Aaron Blunck - 7th

Alex Ferreira - 2nd

David Wise - 1st

Torin Yater-Wallace - 9th

Recap

Another incredible result for the US! An absolutely amazing performance for this team! What a day for the US!

Ice Hockey

Women's

:USA United States of America 3 vs 2 Canada :CAN 

[I don't want to type all of their names]

Recap

YEEEEEEEEEEEES! I lost so much sleep over this game and I don't regret one second of it! FINALLY got the Gold and beat Canada at the Olympics! These women are incredible!

Nordic Combined

Team Large Hill/4x5km

Team USA

Bryan Fletcher - 10th

Taylor Fletcher- 10th

Ben Berend- 10th

Ben Loomis- 10th

Recap

There were only 10 teams.

Snowboard

Women's Big Air

Team USA

Jamie Anderson - 2nd

Jessika Jenson - 11th

Julia Marino - 10th

Recap

Nabbed another medal for the US in this event. Second medal for Jamie in these Olympics. Awesome performance for her!

:USA  Team USA 2018 - Winter Olympics Schedule :USA

All times in PST

Day 14 (February 23rd)

Biathlon

Men's 4x7.5km Relay - 3:15am

Team USA

Tim Burke

Lowell Bailey

Leif Nordgren

Russell Currier

Sean Doherty

Bailey and Burke are pretty decent biathletes, but I'm not very hopeful for a medal here either.

Figure Skating

Ladies Free - 5:00pm

Team USA

Karen Chen

Mirai Nagasu

Bradie Tennell

We are not in a good position to medal in this event. 9th, 10th, and 11th going into it, all 3 were unable to have a clean skate in the short, and that is going to basically eliminated from a medal.

Speed Skating 

Men's 1000m - 2:00am

Team USA

Shani Davis

Joey Mantia

Mitchell Whitmore

Recap

All 3 of these gentlemen are strong skaters and could challenge for a medal if they are able to skate particularly well. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case for the US these Olympics.

We can summarize the Olympics by now 9 Gold.  23 Total (well unless Diggins does something)    and while there were many amazing surprises like Cross Country, womens Hockey or curling Golds,    also some dissapointments come to mind.  Another Skating Failure.  Shiffrin in Slalom is another.   No Cross medals, no golds in ski slopestyle, no medals in moguls or aerials.  Overall because of diggins, shuster or womens Hockey i cannot say im overall dissapointed.  But i was hoping for a better medal count.  

:USA Plans for 2018-2020 USA National Thread :USA

I notice that this National Thread is quite dead during the non Olympic months so I've created a system of posts that I will be posting from now until 2020. There will be three main different posts Week in Summer, Week in Winter, and Trek to Tokyo.

Week in Summer: The Week in Summer posts will be all different USA Summer Olympic sport news that don't have a direct correlation to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics such as FINA World Diving Series or events like that.

Week in Winter: These posts will be all different USA Winter Olympic sport news that don't have a direct correlation to the Beijing 2022 Olympics such as Curling World Championship or Alpine Skiing World Cup. 

NOTE: DUE TO SO MANY WINTER & SUMMER SPORTS THESE POSTS WILL BE AT THE END OF EACH WEEK RECAPPING THE WEEK!

Trek to Tokyo: These posts are all about USA qualifying for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics. The posts will come as matches happen for qualifying. 

NOTE: I know this will be a lot to handle but I've been working on a spreadsheet that helps me a ton, I think the only time I won't be able to post these is if I'm away from a computer (which is not much).  As we get closer to the Summer Olympics there will be more and more posts on Trek to Tokyo and probably less on Week in Summer. I've not yet finished my spread sheet for all the sports yet (I'm working on the summer sports first) so It might take a week or two before the Week in Summer & Week in Winter posts start up!

I am willing to help whenever. I have 2 text files that I update roughly every 3 months with upcoming events for various sports, USA or not, and also including e-sports events. I've attached them below.

League Watch List are leagues that stretch out over long periods of time.

Watch List is singular events

newleaguewatchlist.txt

watchlist.txt

1 hour ago, pjwasz said:

I am willing to help whenever. I have 2 text files that I update roughly every 3 months with upcoming events for various sports, USA or not, and also including e-sports events. I've attached them below.

League Watch List are leagues that stretch out over long periods of time.

Watch List is singular events

newleaguewatchlist.txt

watchlist.txt

What esports do you watch? 

1 minute ago, Rdbc said:

What esports do you watch? 

So, here's the part where my crazy comes out:

Predominantly Overwatch and Starcraft, sometimes CSGO and Rocket League, and the occasional Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, DotA and League.

Just now, pjwasz said:

So, here's the part where my crazy comes out:

Predominantly Overwatch and Starcraft, sometimes CSGO and Rocket League, and the occasional Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone, DotA and League.

Insane! I thought I watched a lot of esports. I watch CSGO, Rocket League and League of Legends mainly. I've never played Dota 2 or Overwatch but I'll still sometimes watch the matches. 

I'm not sure if you know who SK Gaming is (number 2 team in CSGO right now) But I'm actually friends with three of their main players and a few other players from different teams. So I mainly watch CSGO 

1 minute ago, Rdbc said:

Insane! I thought I watched a lot of esports. I watch CSGO, Rocket League and League of Legends mainly. I've never played Dota 2 or Overwatch but I'll still sometimes watch the matches. 

I'm not sure if you know who SK Gaming is (number 2 team in CSGO right now) But I'm actually friends with three of their main players and a few other players from different teams. So I mainly watch CSGO 

You mean the fer, coldzero, taco, and fallen SK Gaming??? That's amazing!

Edited by pjwasz