website statistics

United States National Thread

wpwells

34 minutes ago, bmo said:

So it is free?

Not sure. I really haven’t heard much about Peacock until this week. I’d assume not.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Since I'm likely going to become the resident expert here on all things NBC Olympics, here's what I've gathered on Peacock..

There are 3 tiers of service.  A lot of the content is available for free, but it will be ad-supported.  That includes things like libraries of old TV shows, plus access to next day airings of shows on NBC.  Then there's the paid tier.  $5 gets you additional content which will include among other things, access to NBC late night shows before they air on late night (i.e. Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers).  And the third tier is $10.  That's the same as the $5 tier, except it is ad free.

In terms of Olympic content, Peacock will have exclusive streaming of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.  I'm guessing that means it will NOT be available on the Sports app, although to my knowledge, that's where all the event streaming will come from.  So that, as usual, will be tied to whether or not you have a cable subscription.  But there will be additional programming exclusive to Peacock.  No idea at the moment if this will be on the free tier or only as part of the paid service..

“Tokyo Live,” a five-hour live morning studio show during Tokyo primetime with live coverage of major events, plus medal ceremonies, engaging segments with athlete profiles, and real-time analysis

“Tokyo Daily Digest,” an hour-long highlight show with the best and buzziest moments, athlete interviews, features, and more

“Tokyo Tonight,” a nightly live studio show with quick turn-around highlights, in addition to medal ceremonies, features, interviews, and primetime previews

Plus, it sounds like Peacock will have all the live streaming of the Paralympics.  They're promising more than 1,000 hours.  And I have a feeling they'll continue to grow as we get closer to Beijing.

Don't know if I'll become a regular subscriber, but I'll gladly pay $10 for a month to get all that!

Edited by Quaker2001

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Since I'm likely going to become the resident expert here on all things NBC Olympics, here's what I've gathered on Peacock..

There are 3 tiers of service.  A lot of the content is available for free, but it will be ad-supported.  That includes things like libraries of old TV shows, plus access to next day airings of shows on NBC.  Then there's the paid tier.  $5 gets you additional content which will include among other things, access to NBC late night shows before they air on late night (i.e. Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers).  And the third tier is $10.  That's the same as the $5 tier, except it is ad free.

In terms of Olympic content, Peacock will have exclusive streaming of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.  I'm guessing that means it will NOT be available on the Sports app, although to my knowledge, that's where all the event streaming will come from.  So that, as usual, will be tied to whether or not you have a cable subscription.  But there will be additional programming exclusive to Peacock.  No idea at the moment if this will be on the free tier or only as part of the paid service..

Plus, it sounds like Peacock will have all the live streaming of the Paralympics.  They're promising more than 1,000 hours.  And I have a feeling they'll continue to grow as we get closer to Beijing.

Don't know if I'll become a regular subscriber, but I'll gladly pay $10 for a month to get all that!

I really love that NBC is embracing the Paralympics. The Paralympics are growing closer to the Olympics edition by edition.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Quaker2001 Who do you think will get the broadcast rights for the 2021 World Games? NBC, ABC (ESPN), or FOX?

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really love that NBC is embracing the Paralympics. The Paralympics are growing closer to the Olympics edition by edition.

Definitely helps the cause of the Paralympics that not only is it on an NBC owned platform (as opposed to 4 years ago when it was all on Team USA's website), it's on a service that NBC is going to be selling hard over the next few months.  I don't think the Paralympics will ever be even remotely close to the level of the Olympics, but this is a nice step in the right direction for them.  

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Quaker2001 Who do you think will get the broadcast rights for the 2021 World Games? NBC, ABC (ESPN), or FOX?

Looks like Olympic Channel (the worldwide digital version, not the U.S. veriosn) had the rights in 2017.  Not sure what to expect television-wise here since they're taking place in the United States.  Same host broadcaster as last time, but I doubt we'll get more than streaming coverage here.  Mostly because when I first read this, my first thought was "what the heck are the World Games?"

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Looks like Olympic Channel (the worldwide digital version, not the U.S. veriosn) had the rights in 2017.  Not sure what to expect television-wise here since they're taking place in the United States.  Same host broadcaster as last time, but I doubt we'll get more than streaming coverage here.  Mostly because when I first read this, my first thought was "what the heck are the World Games?"

You my friend, have been missing out. The World Games are, at the most basic level, the Olympics for sports not in the Olympics. They always have good streaming, so I’m hoping NBC picks it up, and gives us access to everything (or ESPN does the same).

• 2 weeks later...