website statistics

Paralympic Sports Discussion Thread

uk12points

16 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I've just discovered paralympic powerlifting and I'm in love with this sport. It's so exciting to watch! I never trusted weightlifting after so many doping scandals, so I could never get into it, but powerlifting is absolutely amazing! 

Yeah para-powerlifting is quite fun. I really find most of the Para-sports to be highly entertaining affairs.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/nigeria-sports-news/385253-nigerian-paralympic-gold-medalist-ndidi-nwosu-is-dead.html

Rio Power lifting Gold Medalist and 2018 Commonwealth Games Champion has died with 40 years of age the 2nd dramatic death of a Paralympuc Champion in power lifting in just few weeks RIP ?

We are sad to report the passing of four-time Paralympic boccia champion Dirceu Pinto.
Dirceu won individual and pairs gold at both Beijing 2008 and London 2012, and achieved mixed pairs silver in front of a home crowd at Rio 2016.
Dirceu was 39. Our heartfelt condolences to Dirceu's friends, family and team mates.
#RIP campeão.

92226562_10157673509371281_3334640573146

Edited by thepharoah

It’s been an unbelievably sad month for the Paralympics movement. 2020 really is the worst year :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 months later...

former autosport driver and multiple paralympic champion Alex Zanardi earlier today suffered a terrible accident with his handbike (apparently, he crashed against a truck :yikes: :cry: :facepalm:) and now he's in grave life danger...

right now he's having a very complicated neurological operation after suffering a hard head trauma...

c'mon, man! if there's someone who can survive something like this, it's you! :fingers:

• 1 month later...

Hopefully Para Bobsleigh will be added to the 2026 Winter Paralympics. It was originally supposed to debut in 2022, but the IPC decided some criteria for inclusion weren’t met. 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1097429/para-bobsleigh-2026-winter-paralympics

When I was archiving results recently, I came across a database set up by the IPC to document the results from all of the editions of the Paralympic Games. It reminds me lot of a Olympedia actually. It’s pretty user friendly, and not too difficult to navigate. Here’s a link for those interested: https://db.ipc-services.org/sdms/hira

I’ve really enjoyed reading through the results of the earlier editions. The most surprising result I’ve seen so far is Jamaica’s silver medal in Women’s Wheelchair Basketball in 1972.