website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

George_D

20 minutos atrás, orangeman disse:

I do not follow gymnastics very much at all, so excuse my ignorance.  And I think Chusovitina is awesome.  But I don't understand how you can land on your ass and still finish ahead of others who do not.  It's not just this one time, either.  It just seems in gymnastics only the degree of difficulty matters, with little attention to actual execution.  Again, I'm not an expert, but to me if you fall you fail.  This is nothing about Chusovitina (because the Indian girl did it, too), it's just a general statement about this sport, and why I can't get into it.  It just seems like, "Oh, s/he's doing a higher degree of difficulty than that other girl.  Therefore, she will finish ahead of her."  Seems silly to me.  Obviously it doesn't always happen that way, but enough to turn me off.  

It's all a matter of strategy. 

For example, bronze medalist on Vault, Giulia Steingruber, has one 6.2 D vault and another 5.8 D vault. Dipa Karmakar from India performs a 6.0 D vault and a 7.0 D vault (with a fall). Even if you count the fall, she would still have the same difficulty as Steingruber. In the end, execution matters the most, because those who had to count a fall didn't manage to earn a medal. 

I totally agree with you that a fall should be more deducted, though. I think two points off of the final score would be enough.

5 hours ago, hckosice said:

Kocian, Ledecky, Oleksiak, Mikulak ...and I surely miss some others..during all those last days I see so many slovaks names winning medals for USA and Canada :d cool..I assume not all has (still) some ties with CZE, SVK, but really interesting to see it.

Canada has the biggest Ukrainian diaspora outside of Ukraine, so a lot of Canadians (especially Western Canadians) have Eastern-European family names and ancestry from what is now Ukraine.

Wow, what a routine by Petrounias :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Now Britain are ahead of China, I want to keep it that way for as long as possible

So I'm cheering everyone else.

Unlucky for Liu and You tho.

But that's what happens when You make a mistake. :p

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

:lol:

I see you have not so fond memories of the 2004 Olympics.

Not many have, it's still one of the most ludacrous gymnastic championships in modern history. Though it did gave us an iconic moment in Yury Checki raising Yordan Yovchev's hand infront of everyone in that damn hall.

Edited by Federer91

Wow, this feels like Liu Yang has been robbed of bronze... how on earth did Zanetti get silver with those mistakes? 

Edit: Alright, maybe it should have been bronze...but silver? 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!