website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

George_D

6 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Who is the alternate? I'm curious because if the US wins a medal at the team event, the alternate will be given a medal as well. 

Im not sure.  They made such a big deal.  For now it wasn't mentioned

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I heard Leyva is the alternate, but don't have a source.. 

I'm sad he isn't selected by the way, he is by far my favourite male US gymnast.

Leyva was injured right before the first competition.  And even yesterday I thought he looked worse then then orozco who realistically was his competition for the last spot

17 minutos atrás, thiago_simoes disse:

Since 2014 alternates are awarded team medals at the World Championships, and I'm 99% sure this works for the Olympics as well. 

This is true for most competitions, but not for Olympic Games (as explained here in page 68)

Except for Olympic Games, Delegations with full teams are entitled to include one reserve gymnast for men and one reserve gymnast for women. Remark: For Olympic Games no Reserve Gymnasts are allowed.

Em 6/30/2016 at 12:23, intoronto disse:

Final two are:
Shallon Olsen

Rose-Kaying Woo

Men:

Scott Morgan

@thiago_simoes your thoughts on this team?

This is the best possible team for Canada and a shoe-in for a top 6 placement. On paper, only Russia, China, Japan, Great Britain and the USA are ahead of Canada now. Brazil and Germany are roughly on the same level, I think. It will be interesting to see if Italy, the Netherlands, France and Belgium can challenge for the top 8. Maybe the Netherlands can make it ahead of Germany, but I doubt Italy, France and Belgium can make much of an impact at this point.

Edited by thiago_simoes

7 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is the best possible team for Canada and a shoe-in for a top 6 placement. On paper, only Russia, China, Japan, Great Britain and the USA are ahead of Canada now. Brazil and Germany are roughly on the same level, I think. It will be interesting to see if Italy, the Netherlands, France and Belgium can challenge for the top 8. Maybe the Netherlands can make it ahead of Germany, but I doubt Italy, France and Belgium can make much of an impact at this point.

Never heard of Olsen before... is she any good?