website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2016 Tickets, Trips and Experiences

A little bit about my last days in Rio. Friday was a pretty good day but also a sad one as it marked my last day as a spectator of the Rio Games. Day started in Deodoro, probably my favourite cluster of all, in which I watched the Women's Modern Pentathlon. The day was very sunny so it couldn't be more perfect. Unfortunately Yane Marques didn't have a great result, even with the venue packed with fans from Pernambuco (a brazilian State from the Northeast region), including me. At the end of the competition, it was kinda sad for me to leave that magical place where many good moments happened. At night, it was time for my only Athletics session in the Games, which bruoght an incredible Women's Pole Vault final (I was seating reatively close to this event, which was great), and of course the much talked Men's 4x100m Relay.

Saturday was a day off and I took the opportunity to visit the Christ the Redeemer statue. The ride by train is pretty cool and there you can see not only people from all over the world, but also a fantastic view of Rio. As we approached the final days of the Games, I confess I was extremely tired, and because of that I didn't even attempted to watch the Men's Football final in one of the live sites of the city - even with rain, a total of 1 million of people went to the Olympic Boulevard that day. Just like in London (when Brazil lost to Mexico), I was sleeping during the whole match. Just woke up with celebrations after the penaltis, which were pretty wild and went on all night.

Last day of Olympics, nothing to do, but I decided not to spend all day in the apartment. Before the Men's Volleyball final, I went to Olympic Boulevard and watched the match there. Pretty good crowd, but obviously smaller than the day before. Saw again the Olympic flame and walked through the Port area, which is really beautiful (including the Museum of Tomorrow, which I believe was shown a lot on TV). Also watched the last show of Rio Fest.

Still on Sunday, out of nowhere by brother calls saying that were tickets available for the Closing Ceremony starting in just a few hours, and of course I bought them. Arrival at Maracanã was pretty chaotic as it was raining a lot (also: strongest winds I ever saw), but once there everything was perfect - many empty seats in the down sector, but I saw many people went to the upper sector just to escape rain. Most ceremonies I watch on TV left me kinda cold, but it's a whole other story to watch it live - especially when is showing your own culture. I can't remember exactly how many times I cried during this ceremony, but it was a LOT. Most of those moments probably meant nothing for international viewers, but if you're brazilian, it's impossible not to relate to some of those things. Moments that left amazed: formation of Rio spots in the beggining, use of regional songs (especially from Northeast and Pernambuco, with "Asa Branca" and frevo), the "baianas" and Tokyo segments, the big carnaval at the end. Moments that left in tears: national anthem (never thought I would cry listening to it) and that Mariene de Castro song (Jesus Christ, what was that? I have tears in my eyes just remembering when the flame was gone). I'm glad that Rio made ceremonies that left brazilians proud, and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive. In the end, it was hard to leave the stadium but it was time to say goodbye to the Rio Olympics. :cry:

On Monday, that awful post-Olympic depression feeling, and it was finally time to return home. Saw many athletes in the airport, including our medalist Arthur Mariano. In the plane, our flag bearer (and bronze medalist from London) Yane Marques was on the same flight as me and everyone clapped their hands for her. On the arrival in Recife, I finally met her, and she's exactly as I pictured her: an extremely humble person. Talked a little with her, including her competition which I went in Deodoro. Graciously, she autographed my ticket, while I was literally shaking. She's such a simple person that she went to organize the baggage of the whole Modern Pentathlon crew in the carts. Felipe Nascimento (our other athlete from this sport, which is also from Pernambuco) was also there, and I took a photo with him - very nice guy. This was a great ending to a great trip. I will never forget these memories and I hope to return to Rio someday. I also hope to go to the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires :d Thanks all for the patience in reading my reports, hope this was a special event for all of you :)