website statistics

Sailing Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

2 minutes ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Never mine. I already checked the sources. Btw, why did the Argentines chose Bautista Saubidet in men's windsurfing, instead of Mariano Reutemann?

The selection in men's rsx was through accumulation of points in three specific tournaments (the last one was world cup Miami I think) and Saubidet simply had better results and was selected. For other categories like nacra or 49er there wasn't any selection because we have one boat that is far better in level than the others, so there is no point. In those categories, the people who got the quota will represent Argentina automatically.

Interesting to note that Joao Rodrigues from Portugal has been selected for his 7th Olympics in RS:X. Quite an achievement, especially since the windsurfer is quite a physical class. He participated all the way back in Barcelona in '92.

#banbestmen

I forgot to ask this the other day: has it happened before at the olympics that father and son compete in the same olympics? because in our team there is Santiago Lange (Nacra) and his two sons Yago and Klaus (49er). I would think only in shooting, equestrian or sailing this is possible.

18 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I forgot to ask this the other day: has it happened before at the olympics that father and son compete in the same olympics? because in our team there is Santiago Lange (Nacra) and his two sons Yago and Klaus (49er). I would think only in shooting, equestrian or sailing this is possible.

The one that I could find is Rita de Luna and Silvia de Luna (her daughter) from Guatemala that competed in eventing in 1976.

I guess it's very likely that it also happened in one of the very early Olympics.

Here it is, father and son won team gold in 1912 in shooting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_at_the_1912_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men's_100_metre_team_running_deer,_single_shots

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Interesting to note that Joao Rodrigues from Portugal has been selected for his 7th Olympics in RS:X. Quite an achievement, especially since the windsurfer is quite a physical class. He participated all the way back in Barcelona in '92.

He's competed in three different boat classes, a very impressive athlete.

• 3 weeks later...

The World Cup in Hyeres these days will decide the Dutch boat in the women's 49erFX. Bekkering/Duetz are world class and perform way better than Keijzer/Blom in basically every major competition. However, Keijzer/Blom performed better in some internal qualification and so they have the main right to take the quota. However - again - Keijzer/Blom did NOT yet comply with the national standards set by the Dutch Olympic Committee, whereas Bekkering/Duetz already did so a million times.

Basically the result is this: if Keijzer/Blom reach the national standard in Hyeres, they'll go to Rio. If not, Bekkering/Duetz will go to Rio. To do so, Keijzer/Blom have to be in the top-6 of the standings - counting only one boat per nation and counting the other Dutch boat. If they don't make it, Bekkering/Duetz will go.

Me and other Dutch fans are very much hoping Keijzer/Blom don't make it, because they didn't have any impressive result so far, whereas Bekkering/Duetz are world class by now. With them we could win a medal, with Keijzer/Blom we'd need a miracle to medal. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think we might give back our quota place in mixed nacra. One of our boats needs to finish among the top 10 nations at the world cup in Hyeres, otherwise we will probably give back our quota place.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think we might give back our quota place in mixed nacra. One of our boats needs to finish among the top 10 nations at the world cup in Hyeres, otherwise we will probably give back our quota place.

If you did :PUR Puerto Rico would receive your quota place, which would be their first Sailing quota place for Rio 2016

Any updates on the German sailors towards the selection for Rio 2016? DOSB had officially decided to reject the Nacra 17 spot, as none of the crews reached the top 10 position at the ISAF World Cup meet in Hyères, France, leaving the boats to six.