website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

I still wonder what happens if someone plays a YouTube video of a Russian anthem in their room or sing it in the building or something :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Some interesting news for the hockey fans prior to the games

looks we are slowly but still finally moving in the IIHF hockey planet ...

The IIHF has introduced its guidelines for the use of coach’s challenges during the Men’s and Women’s Olympic ice hockey tournaments.

There are two situations possible for issuing the Coach’s Challenge:

• Off-side situation prior the scoring of a goal
  • Interference on a goaltender

Only one Coach’s Challenge per team per stoppage will be permitted.

After the scoring of the goal in the final minute of play in the 3rd period and at any point in Overtime (in any games), the IIHF Video Goal Judge Booth Operations can initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge.

Coach’s Challenge Procedure

Spoiler

The IIHF Office will implement at the 2018 OWG Men’s and Women’s Hockey Tournaments technology (either a handheld tablet or a television or computer monitor) that will allow On-ice Officials, in conjunction with the IIHF Video Goal Judge Booth Operations (IIHF Referee Supervisor and Operators), to review replays if, and only to extent, a formal Coach’s Challenge has been initiated. To the extent practical, the replays made available to the Game Officials on the ice will be the same replays that are being utilized by the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations.

A Coach’s Challenge should be initiated by the Head Coach of the respective team by direct verbal notification to the Referee on the ice. Once a Coach’s Challenge has been initiated by the Head Coach, the Referee (or Linesman) responsible for the call on the ice will immediately establish contact with the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations via headset and will inquire and discuss with the IIHF Referee Supervisor, prior to the Referee (or Linesman) examining any video, the following: a) the Referee’s (or Linesman’s) “final” call on the ice; and (b) what the Referee (or Linesman) observed on the play.

The on-ice call will then be reviewed simultaneously by the appropriate On-Ice Officials at ice level and by the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations using any and all replays at their disposal. After reviewing the play and consulting with the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations, the appropriate On-Ice Officials will then make the “final” decision on whether to uphold or overturn the original call on the ice. Once the decision is made, the Referee will inform the Official Scorekeeper and will then make the announcement from the ice.

A Coach’s Challenge initiated by the team should be based on the information provided from the coaching staff taking into consideration and using the technology in accordance with the IIHF Rule 26 – Teams Officials and Technology.

The Video Review mechanism triggered by the Coach’s Challenge is intended to be extremely narrow in scope and the original call on the ice is to be overturned if, and only if, a determination is made that the original call on the ice was not correct. If a review is not conclusive and/or there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether the call on the ice was correct, the original call on the ice will be confirmed.

In case if during the issuing of the Coach’s Challenge it become impossible to operate it due to technical problems, then the call on the ice stays, the Coach’s Challenge request is canceled and the team remains its time-out and no penalty is assessed.

What can be challenged?

Spoiler

A team may only request a Coach’s Challenge to review the following scenarios:

1) “Off-side” Play Leading to a Goal (IIHF Rule 78, 79, 81)

A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the play should have been stopped by reason of an “Off-side” infraction by the attacking team.

a) The standard for overturning the call in the event of a “GOAL” call on the ice is that the Linesman responsible for the call, after reviewing any and all available replays and consulting with his colleague Linesman and the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations, determines that one or more Players on the attacking team preceded the puck into the attacking zone prior to the goal being scored and that, as a result, the play should have been stopped for an “Off-side” infraction; where this standard is met, the goal will be disallowed.

b) If the result of the Challenge is that the play was “On-side”, the goal shall count and the team that issued the Challenge shall be assessed a Bench Minor Penalty for delaying the game which can be served by any Player designated by the Head Coach of the penalized team.

c) In the event a goal is reversed due to the Linesman responsible for the call after consulting with his colleague Linesman and the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations, determining that the play was “Off-side” prior to the goal being scored, the clock (including penalty time clocks, if applicable) will be re-set to the time at which the play should have been stopped for the “Off-side” infraction.

NOTE 1:

Goals will only be reviewed for a potential “Off-side” infraction if: (a) the puck does not come out of the attacking zone again; or (b) all members of the attacking team do not clear the attacking zone again, between the time of the “Off-side” play and the time the goal is scored.

NOTE 2:

If one or more penalties (major or minor) are assessed between the time of the “Off-side” play and the video review that disallows the apparent goal, the offending team(s) (and responsible Player(s)) will still be required to serve the penalty (ies) identified and assessed, and the time of the penalty (ies) will be recorded as the time at which the play should have been stopped for the “Off-side” infraction.

2) Scoring Plays Involving Potential “Interference on a Goaltender”

A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the play should have been stopped by reason of an “Interference on a Goaltender” infraction by the attacking team.

a) A play that results in a “GOAL” call on the ice where the defending team asserts that the goal should have been disallowed due to “Interference on a Goaltender”, as described in Rules 94xiii, 95i, 95iii, 95iv, 151 Definition, 151i-151v, 183i-183v, 184 Overview, 184ii –184iv, 185ii, 185iv, 186i-186v.

The standard for overturning the call in the event of a “GOAL” call on the ice is that the Referee, after reviewing any and all available replays and consulting with the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations, determines that the goal should have been disallowed due to “Interference on a Goaltender”, as described in Rules 94xiii, 95i, 95iii, 95iv, 151 Definition, 151i-151v, 183i-183v, 184 Overview, 184ii – 184iv, 185ii, 185iv, 186i-186v.

b) A play that results in a “NO GOAL” call on the ice despite the puck having entered the net, where the On-Ice Officials have determined that the attacking team was guilty of “Interference on a Goaltender” but where the attacking team asserts: (i) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by an attacking Player with the Goaltender; or (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the Goaltender; or (iii) the attacking Player is in the Goal Crease at the moment the puck crosses the plane of the goal line and in no way affects the Goaltender’s ability to make a save or play his position.

The standard for overturning the call in the event of a “NO GOAL” call on the ice is that the Referee, after reviewing any and all replays and consulting with the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations determines that the goal on the ice should have been allowed because either:

(i) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by the attacking Player with the Goaltender; or (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the Goaltender; or (iii) the attacking Player is in the Goal Crease at the moment the puck crosses the plane of the goal line and in no way affects the Goaltender’s ability to make a save or play his position.

c) In the rare situation where the Referee overreacted and called “Interference on a Goaltender” where the puck was on its way to the net and after reviewing any and all replays and consulting with the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations determines that the goal on the ice should have been allowed, no penalty will be assessed for “Interference on a Goaltender”. All other penalties not associated with “Interference on a Goaltender” should be assessed and served in a normal way.

d) A team may only request a Coach’s Challenge for “Interference on a Goaltender” if they have their time-out available and the Coach’s Challenge must be effectively initiated prior to the resumption of play. If the Coach’s Challenge does not result in the original call on the ice being overturned, the team exercising such a Challenge will forfeit its Time-out. If the Coach’s Challenge does result in the call on the ice being overturned, the team successfully exercising such a Challenge will retain its Time-out.

Initiated Review by the IIHF Video Goal Judge Booth Operations

In the final minute of play in the 3rd period and at any point in Overtime (in any game), the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations will initiate the review of any scenario that would otherwise be subject to a Coach’s Challenge. 

Where a Coach’s Challenge is available on a scoring play potentially involving “Interference on a Goaltender” or “Off-side,” the IIHF VGJ Booth Operations will, as an initial and threshold matter, determine that the puck entered the net and is a good hockey goal.  This will eliminate the Coaches Challenge by either team.

If a team requests a Coach’s Challenge but Video Review under the above-mentioned rules renders such Challenge unnecessary, then the Challenge will be deemed not to have been made and the Time-out will be preserved.

the official website of the Games has been updated...:yes

from Today we have a full schedule and results section very well built and organized, with more viewing options (compact, daily, by sport etc.)...:thumbup:

p.s. and also all the training sessions for the various disciplines (not only the "prestigious" alpine skiing downhill's) are included (this is the first time as far as I can remember)...:evil::d

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/OWG2018/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

Edited by phelps

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

the official website of the Games has been updated...:yes

from Today we have a full schedule and results section very well built and organized, with more viewing options (compact, daily, by sport etc.)...:thumbup:

p.s. and also all the training sessions for the various disciplines (not only the "prestigious" alpine skiing downhill's) are included (this is the first time as far as I can remember)...:evil::d

https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/game-time/results/OWG2018/en/general/competition-schedule.htm

Any idea if it's possible somewhere (on the official site) to see the daily schedule sorted by time? Now it's sorted by sport, meaning I still end up scrolling from sport to sport and checking 10 things to see when the next event starts :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Any idea if it's possible somewhere (on the official site) to see the daily schedule sorted by time? Now it's sorted by sport, meaning I still end up scrolling from sport to sport and checking 10 things to see when the next event starts :p 

for now "I still haven't found" (cit. :rofl:) the way...:facepalm:

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think it's impossible to chenge the viewing mode in that page...

the only way I successfully tried to have the daily list of events ordered by time is to go to the tickets page...

there you can find what you're looking for, even if the page layout is not as attractive and good looking as in the main schedule page...

https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/PriceInfo