website statistics

Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

well, Eurosport is also a good option for the winter sports ;) However I am already looking forward, In SVK we have the opposite problem the summer games are very weird in our TV, incompetant commentators, weird scheduling focused only in few popular sports, other sports have just few minutes highlights per day some not at all...so I have to follow czech TV..but for the winter games it´s better, our TV broadcasted everything from last few winter games, especially the Vancouver olympics coverage was fantastic :) one channel purely for Ice hockey and the second one 24h/day from all other events. Hope this time they will do the same :)

30 minutes ago, hckosice said:

well, Eurosport is also a good option for the winter sports ;) However I am already looking forward, In SVK we have the opposite problem the summer games are very weird in our TV, incompetant commentators, weird scheduling focused only in few popular sports, other sports have just few minutes highlights per day some not at all...so I have to follow czech TV..but for the winter games it´s better, our TV broadcasted everything from last few winter games, especially the Vancouver olympics coverage was fantastic :) one channel purely for Ice hockey and the second one 24h/day from all other events. Hope this time they will do the same :)

In some countries perhaps. Except for sleigh sports it's terrible in Denmark ;)

Like i've said prior, i'm rejuvenated that Eurosport got the rights back. Their commentators are by far the best here. Plus around 90% of households have cable/ satellite subscription, so availability isn't a problem, even though our state network will probably sublicense.  

3 hours ago, hckosice said:

well, Eurosport is also a good option for the winter sports ;) 

That's different for every country/"commentary region" of course :p 

Luge is by far the worst here...as in, the commentator is simply literally unable to pronounce most of the names. He just can not pronounce them. Think of "Birgit Platzer" becoming "Bisse Passe" and Semen Pavlichenko morphing into "Seje Pavjovich" or something...it's like stabbing a knife in your ear, horrible. 

On the other hand, biathlon is quite alright (although I prefer German TV) with ex-biathlete Herbert Cool as our commentator. 

At least the good thing is that they will probably focus on a rather diverse range of sports in the winter, maybe a bit more than the Germans would and for sure more than the Dutch would. On Dutch NOS speed skating is one of the few sports that's being broadcast live (including super interesting special reports like "Sven Kramer has arrived at the stadium") and in biathlon Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is the only biathlete ever apparently :p 

In short: I'm glad Eurosport has the rights, I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the Winter Olympics on German TV where I watch most of my winter sports. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Luge is by far the worst here...as in, the commentator is simply literally unable to pronounce most of the names. He just can not pronounce them. Think of "Birgit Platzer" becoming "Bisse Passe" and Semen Pavlichenko morphing into "Seje Pavjovich" or something...it's like stabbing a knife in your ear, horrible. 

That reminds me of BBC equestrian commentators when they pronounce Eastern European names :lol: They have a good knowledge of sport and they are also funny, but oh dear, they have the worst pronunciation I've ever heard. :p

#banbestmen

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's different for every country/"commentary region" of course :p 

On the other hand, biathlon is quite alright (although I prefer German TV) with ex-biathlete Herbert Cool as our commentator. 

At least the good thing is that they will probably focus on a rather diverse range of sports in the winter, maybe a bit more than the Germans would and for sure more than the Dutch would. On Dutch NOS speed skating is one of the few sports that's being broadcast live (including super interesting special reports like "Sven Kramer has arrived at the stadium") and in biathlon Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is the only biathlete ever apparently :p 

In short: I'm glad Eurosport has the rights, I'm just sad I won't be able to watch the Winter Olympics on German TV where I watch most of my winter sports. 

Bisse Passe? How can that happen wen you consider there's the Dutch judoka Birgit Ente. Birgit shouldn't be an uncommon name. :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

Just now, Quasit said:

Bisse Passe? How can that happen wen you consider there's the Dutch judoka Birgit Ente. Birgit shouldn't be an uncommon name. :d

Well it was somewhat of an example, but not an unrealistic one. Obviously a Dutch commentator isn't going to pronounce every Croatian or Japanese name exactly correct and a Croatian or Japanese commentator isn't going to pronounce every Dutch name correct, that's logical :p 

But there's "pronouncing a name with the accent of your own language" and "coming up with something totally different" :d 

Luckily Felix Loch's name is short and magically he's able to pronounce it, but don't even start thinking about the likes of Natalie Geisenberger, Summer Britcher, Eliza Cauce or, God forbid, Dominik Fischnaller. Oh, and Tobias Arlt becomes "Tobias Artol". Every. Single. Time. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

That reminds me of BBC equestrian commentators when they pronounce Eastern European names :lol: They have a good knowledge of sport and they are also funny, but oh dear, they have the worst pronunciation I've ever heard. :p

oh man that remember me of this total disaster :bowdown: