website statistics

Football at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

Well, we have a coach for the team at least: Jorge Olarticoechea (the current interim U20 coach) will take over the team.

Now we need the players... for that we need the stupid club presidents to finally sit down, have a talk and be able to agree at least on this very very little thing. The team will suck without most of the european players, but at this point just getting any 18 players together will be an achievement.

1 hour ago, carivan said:

The Uruguayan press is already all over this lol. They say that the rules indicate that FIFA will appoint a replacement and fine Argentina. They think they could go as being since they were next in line (third at Juventud de America 2015) and they're from the same confederation (their very powerful NOC President is already on the case) or that it could be the United States since they were the ones thet lost the play-off with Colombia. They're even analysing the rivals (slow news day in Uruguay, I guess).

Qualification system says that the next best (not already qualified) nation from the tournament where Argentina qualified would get it. So, yeah, it would be Uruguay.

#banbestmen

Em 6/29/2016 at 18:40, LDOG disse:

Two things:

-I think you're understimating brazilian league players. Believe me, I watched most of them in Libertadores and other competitions and this is a really good selection.

-We have already been denied half of our theoric starting XI and I think I read Porto/Benfica will deny many players too so I think Portugal won't be able to select the best either.

This is true, Porto and Benfica are denying their players the Olympics (Jimenez from Mexico even proposed to not be payed during that month to be able to go, but Benfica said "NO!" :(). Specially Porto as they will have to play the Champions League playoff in August.

Em 6/29/2016 at 18:53, OlympicsFan disse:

We will see. I think that brazilian clubs wouldnt stand a chance against top european clubs and tactically the brazilian league is much worse than the top european leagues, all half decent brazilian players are transferred to european clubs at a young age. Neymar is their only world class player and we will see if he is able to stand the pressure this time. Germany doesnt really seem to care about this competition, so i would like to see Portugal (if Renato Sanches will be nominated) or Brazil (they deserve it after the nightmare they had in 2014 and because they are the hosts) to take away the gold medal.

I'd like to see that too :p

I think our best team (like the one we had in Euro 2015 U-21) would be a really good team, but we probably won't have some of the best players of that team, as they're already on Euro 2016 (william carvalho, rafa, joao mario, renato sanches - didn't played on 2015 but he's really good).

Let's wait and see... Either way I don't particulary enjoy the male football in Olympics (though I would really love to get a medal :p), as I think an Olympic competition should award the best of the bests (as it happens with pretty much every other sport), not the best of the U-23+some old players...  

It's pity this situations for Argentina :( (and AFA troubles don't help.....)

I don't think they will withdraw, but won't be one of "favourites".

The "bizarre" of the Olympic Men's Tournament is that are a "FIFA tournament" but clubs can denying their players :wacko: need a change for future, maybe U19 Men's tournament? (delete football isn't possible......)

34 minutes ago, Henry_Leon said:

The "bizarre" of the Olympic Men's Tournament is that are a "FIFA tournament" but clubs can denying their players :wacko: need a change for future, maybe U19 Men's tournament? (delete football isn't possible......)

i want also Argentina to stay on tournament even if they will not be favorites. Maybe its time for Brazil to take the gold for first time in Olympics. It now or never for them now at their home

1 hour ago, Henry_Leon said:

Well, Olympics was created for the best athletes. I think that we need a radical change and FIFA must decide if they want stay in the Olympics whit the senior team or leave football from Olympic Games. 

8 hours ago, George_D said:

i want also Argentina to stay on tournament even if they will not be favorites. Maybe its time for Brazil to take the gold for first time in Olympics. It now or never for them now at their home

just like the world cup in their home in 1950 and 2014 huh ? :p   

7 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Well, Olympics was created for the best athletes. I think that we need a radical change and FIFA must decide if they want stay in the Olympics whit the senior team or leave football from Olympic Games. 

Agreed but no way the clubs will agree, not with the european championships the same year, world cup 2 years before, and you have the copa right around there as well, players will simply not have any breaks and thats the biggest issue.

they have to seriously restructure the whole calendar and have the olympics as the only tournament of that year, doubt that it will ever happen