website statistics

Field Hockey at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

LDOG

4 hours ago, T&Fwatch said:

Jesus Christus, another Thriller between Germany and the Netherlands...

From now on, we should skip the 60min regular time and go straight on with penalties :lol:

:d

Our guys are unbelievable, so incredibly focussed on finally beating Australia...then beating Australia to smithereens and then make mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake in the next 2 matches :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 1 minuto, OlympicsFan said:

Congrats to the oldest team of the tournament, what a miracle! It was a once in a lifetime chance for them and they used it.

Most of them were Junior World champions in 2005, but couldn't perform in senior level because of bad coaches/other internal problems. The current coach changed their mindset into winning mentality, he's a genious... the guy won WC 2010 gold and silver 2012 with the women team, then in 2014 he won bronze coaching both (!) teams at the WC and now this gold. I believe he's the best coach in the world right now.

vor 25 Minuten schrieb LDOG:

Most of them were Junior World champions in 2005, but couldn't perform in senior level because of bad coaches/other internal problems. The current coach changed their mindset into winning mentality, he's a genious... the guy won WC 2010 gold and silver 2012 with the women team, then in 2014 he won bronze coaching both (!) teams at the WC and now this gold. I believe he's the best coach in the world right now.

Yeah, sadly Markus Weise (who won 3 olympic golds in a row, 2004 with our womens team and 2008/2012 with our mens team) started to work for our football federation at the end of last year, you could see that it was a huge blow for our mens team, but at least they still won the bronze medal. Now our mens team has a new coach who is only 35 years old and you could see that the olympics were completely new for him ... :d

Our team is still pretty young (more than half of the players are 25 or younger and 5 of them were born in 1994 or later), so i am optimistic for 2020.

I think the future on the mens side should belong to Belgium and Germany.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 12 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah, sadly Markus Weise (who won 3 olympic golds in a row, 2004 with our womens team and 2008/2012 with our mens team) started to work for our football federation at the end of last year, you could see that it was a huge blow for our mens team, but at least they still won the bronze medal. Now our mens team has a new coach who is only 35 years old and you could see that the olympics were completely new for him ... :d

Our team is still pretty young (more than half of the players are 25 or younger and 5 of them were born in 1994 or later), so i am optimistic for 2020.

I think the future on the mens side should belong to Belgium and Germany.

I agree, Belgium and Germany are rather young squads. We won't fight in 2020 in the men's side (most probably), but hopefully our women's team will be back in shape by then.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb LDOG:

I agree, Belgium and Germany are rather young squads. We won't fight in 2020 in the men's side (most probably), but hopefully our women's team will be back in shape by then.

If you can keep your ridiculous conversion rate of penalty corners, then you will probably win all olympic golds in the next 100 years, against Germany and Belgium this was the main reason why you won.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

hace 54 minutos, OlympicsFan said:

If you can keep your ridiculous conversion rate of penalty corners, then you will probably win all olympic golds in the next 100 years, against Germany and Belgium this was the main reason why you won.

well, Gonzalo Peillat for sure isn't inmortal but he's only 24... I think he will break all PC goal records at this rate. Obviously his addition is one of the reasons why our team is more competitive now, before him we didn't have anyone that knew how to make a proper drag flick. Now other teams are scared to concede any PCs against us and he also allows us to do a couple other things, like the decoy play in the 1st corner today (since all opponent runners always go suicide-run into him).