website statistics

Wrestling at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

juddy96

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

btw what happened to Romanian sport, I was checking the final medal table and I was really surprised to see some sporting nations like Romania, Belarus, Ukraine and Poland lower than us and we are not even happy about our results :d

Do you want to hear the long story or the short one? :p 

15 minutes ago, MHSN said:

whatever you want :d was it just a bad Olympic or you were expecting such results ?

Unfortunately it was not just a bad Olympic; it's true we had bad luck on some particular events, but overall the disaster was predictable. After the fall of communism (1989) our country "managed" to develop a strange type of free-market economy. The state assets got robbed by wiseguys, and individual businessmen were interested only in short-term profits. On top of this, the sports infrastructure was getting old and non-competitive, but no one even thought of building new sports halls. Romania kept getting some results in major competitions due to athletes who were born and raised before 1989, thus the warning signs were ignored by the sports activists and the public. To sum it up, the major problems are:

1. lack of sports infrastructure

2. huge robberies of sports federations funds

3. lack of interest from old coaches to update their knowledge/training methods.

I don't think these problems will be solved in the near future, especially the one mentioned at nr.2, which is crucial. Romanians still have the fascination of robbing money (mainly from state, but not only from state); as long as this habit is alive, sport doesn't have a chance to regain its former glory. 

Edited by zob79

17 часов назад, hckosice сказал:

Womens Freestyle -48kg

Wrestling - Olympics: Day 12

Womens Freestyle -53kg

Wrestling - Olympics: Day 13

Womens Freestyle -58kg

Womens Freestyle -63kg

Womens Freestyle -69kg

Womens Freestyle -75kg

That face of Maria Stadnyk on the 1st photo:(

• 2 years later...

I know it’s odd to comment on such a long ago event, but as an Olympics fan who never expressed their opinion on the Mongolian incident I would like to now, since I’ve just watched the complete replay on the Olympic Channel.

My feelings the day of were like the same as users above. I think WTF this is the Olympics what a disgrace. However, after NBC showed the actions the led to incident I felt bad for the Mongolian guy and pretty good about wrestling being close to being axed from the Olympics.

Now 2 1/2 years on I feel as though the Mongolian wrestler was still wronged, especially since the Uzbeki coach had an outburst and yellow card of his own. The Mongolian was obviously the better and more dominant wrestler. I think it was poor judgment to give the Mongolian the penalty especially since the Uzbeki didn’t make a real effort to attack an easily attackible opponent. I think the judging of subjective sports is a huge problem and issue currently. If it were up to me I’d axe subjective sports, save gymnastics because there’s an actual outline as to how points are earned, completely and replace them with sport Climbing, Squash, Bowling, and quite frankly more exciting sports. I realize this would hurt a lot of countries that count on combat or artistic sports, but quite frankly fans deserve better than what was given in Rio.

P.S. Props to the Rio fans for booing the ref, made my day :lol:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela