website statistics

Modern Pentathlon at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

Vojthas

1 hour ago, Bearas said:

In the past round the horse has not been disqualified, because Czech rider was eliminated for 2 falls. For the same reason Asadauskaitė yesterday was not allowed to change the horse in exactly the same situation when Egyptian girl fallen twice and was eliminated before on the same horse as Asadauskaitė had to ride later on. Double standards.

I missed it. Thanks for this :hatoff: 

Here are some thoughts of Eventing Nation about pentathlon show jumping.

The clock doesn’t stop when you fall off. If you and the horse part ways, there is no time for tack check or injury protocol. When the riders fall off they literally have to chase their horse to get back on because the clock is running, and there’s a 150 second time limit per horse.

...the Pentathlon commentator seemed very confused about why all these horses were so unwilling to jump. I counted at least seven times where the announcer stated, “This horse just doesn’t want to cooperate at all” when the horse had been given an impossible instruction, rushed to the base of a fence, or given no real instruction.

The surrounding officials at the event don’t appear to be horse savvy. When riders did fall off, officials would run at the horse, sometimes from behind, and try to restrain them by a stirrup or breastplate, and more than one horse kicked out in this process, lucky not to have injured anyone.

http://eventingnation.com/insanity-elsewhere-modern-pentathlon/

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

Here are some thoughts of Eventing Nation about pentathlon show jumping.

http://eventingnation.com/insanity-elsewhere-modern-pentathlon/

Some of those pentathletes were indeed terrible riders. We had an equestrian commentator for that phase and he was able to tell immediately which riders were going to struggle simply by the way they were positioned on the horse, and he was almost always right in his predictions. Having said that, even good riders can have nightmares in modern pentathlon showjumping. It's a messy element that should be amended or changed entirely.

11 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Some of those pentathletes were indeed terrible riders. We had an equestrian commentator for that phase and he was able to tell immediately which riders were going to struggle simply by the way they were positioned on the horse, and he was almost always right in his predictions. Having said that, even good riders can have nightmares in modern pentathlon showjumping. It's a messy element that should be amended or changed entirely.

Definitely, it's just that mainstream idea that uncooperative horses are the ones to blame even though in most of the cases (but not all) riders are the ones responsible for their problems. On the other hand, if a horse is shaking from fear of the crowds then organizers are the ones to blame for doing a lousy job when preparing/selecting the horses.

I remember Bulgarian athlete today who didn't seem to know what he was doing in this stage. Went straight through first fence and then had 4 refusals in a row.

#banbestmen

Today was the first time I watched almost an entire Modern Pentathlon competition, seriously I never want to disrespect any sport but honestly the running/shooting part was like a circus ! some people were running to the left, some to the right. just inches away from each other :d I wonder if all those fans in stadium could understand what the hell is happening and where is the finish line !

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Definitely, it's just that mainstream idea that uncooperative horses are the ones to blame even though in most of the cases (but not all) riders are the ones responsible for their problems. On the other hand, if a horse is shaking from fear of the crowds then organizers are the ones to blame for doing a lousy job when preparing/selecting the horses.

I remember Bulgarian athlete today who didn't seem to know what he was doing in this stage. Went straight through first fence and then had 4 refusals in a row.

Very true :d . Some riders had no control over their horses too and the horse was flying at the fences at speed. In fact, only for the fact that some of the horses were capable that the situation could have been much worse for those riders.