website statistics

Top 10 countries with the most Olympic medals

yom

Obviously the best way would suggest to separate the medals won by athletes from different "new" countries, not so hard I guess, but then the other problem occur in team sports medals since the teams were composed by players from different nations (All Czecholsovak team medals won were always by teams composed from players from both parts of the former federation for example)

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I disagree. So, Yugoslavia should be counted together with Serbia, too? Different nations must be listed separately.

Yugoslavia and Serbia are the same thing. Serbia dominated Yugoslav politics. They were the one constituent “republic” trying to keep the country together before the fall.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yugoslavia and Serbia are the same thing. Serbia dominated Yugoslav politics. They were the one constituent “republic” trying to keep the country together before the fall.

I don't think that has much to do with how you look at them on the medal table. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

I don't think that has much to do with how you look at them on the medal table. :p

They did ask the United Nations to continue to be recognized as Serbia, but UN essentially forced them to change their name, so I’d say the Yugoslav medals are Serbian.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

They did ask the United Nations to continue to be recognized as Serbia, but UN essentially forced them to change their name, so I’d say the Yugoslav medals are Serbian.

Yeah, but that's just mixing politics and sport, and not how the things go. I mean, Yugoslav Winter Olympic medals are quite clearly all Slovenian. :lol:

#banbestmen

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

However Josip Broz Tito was born to Croatian & Slovenian parents and he kinda dominated Yugoslav politics for 36 years :p

All Winter OG medallists were from Slovenia, every Summer OG multi-gold medal winners were also Slovenian.

I see very little Serbian dominance here :bye:

Really all this proves is that medal counts shouldn't be a big deal. That’s why I rarely bother with reporting on the medal table. I care more about individual moments and competitions, than how high country x ranks on a medal table. Medal tables are fun to look at, but I don’t think they should be taken a seriously as they are.

34 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Really all this proves is that medal counts shouldn't be a big deal. That’s why I rarely bother with reporting on the medal table. I care more about individual moments and competitions, than how high country x ranks on a medal table. Medal tables are fun to look at, but I don’t think they should be taken a seriously as they are.

Medal tables are one of the most interesting parts of the Olympics for me. Yeah probably boring if you are from America because you win hundreds of medals and you practically know where in the table you are gonna finish each time. But for the rest of the smaller nations it really means something when an athlete wins a medal. It’s a great feeling of achievement and the medal table is another aspect of this. And another reason why tables should only be sorted by number of golds won and not total medals because that way smaller nations can climb a bit higher. Fiji with their 1 gold medal beats another medium nation who only wins 3 silvers and 3 bronze. I love that :p 

However, all-time medal tables are indeed boring :p 

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Don’t get started on the pre-World War I Olympics.  Hungary won tons of medals that I’m sure would now be claimed by about six different countries.....

Nah, there really aren't "tons" of medals like that. And it's really simple: those athletes won their medals as Hungarians and therefore no other country can claim them. Just like how we can't claim medals won by Hungarians who compete as Romanians or Slovaks for example, because that would obviously be stupid.