website statistics

Top 10 countries with the most Olympic medals

yom

Hey all,

I really like the olympic games and unfortunetaly the games were postponed to next year,

so I decided to make a racing bar chart for the top 10 countries with the most medals in the history of the Olympic games,

please see attached the movie:

I need your thoughts on the graph and ideas for improvement and maybe more ideas for statistics like that regarding the Olympic games.

Thanks in advance,
Yom

1. This is only Summer Olympics. 

2. Soviet Union and Russia should be counted together, no matter how the IOC wants to twist the history. 

3. You can try making videos of athletes with the most medals, or golds, or videos of the different sports, or the nations. There are many choices for such videos.

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

1. This is only Summer Olympics. 

2. Soviet Union and Russia should be counted together, no matter how the IOC wants to twist the history. 

3. You can try making videos of athletes with the most medals, or golds, or videos of the different sports, or the nations. There are many choices for such videos.

I thought about it but than does East and West germany should be counted with Germany as well ?
Is czechoslovakia should be counted with Czech ?

I don't know....

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I disagree. So, Yugoslavia should be counted together with Serbia, too? Different nations must be listed separately.

1 minute ago, yom said:

I thought about it but than does East and West germany should be counted with Germany as well ?
Is czechoslovakia should be counted with Czech ?

I don't know....

East and West Germany is different, because they were 2 nations both gathering medals from the same Games. It would be historically unfair to count them as one. West Germany's medals should count towards unified Germany.

While SU and Russia is different, because they were only one team at a time, just one following the other.  

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I disagree. So, Yugoslavia should be counted together with Serbia, too? Different nations must be listed separately.

Yugoslavia is different, because the now nations inside it were much more even. While in the SU 80-90% of the medals were from athletes from modern Russia. 

The only right thing is to have historians break down the athletes from the now defunct nations and add the medals to the current ones. 

This is something that i have wanted to see for many years and as a statistics buff really annoys me..

You can't have an accurate all time medal table, when Russian athletes (medals) are counted in one, two, three, four teams, while China for example has all in one. The same goes for other nations. 

The table should be adjusted to maximum value each present country with it's historical merit.