website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

22 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I couldn't care less, it's just factually incorrect :p 

One of the main Dutch 'football songs' for the national team goes 'Hup Holland hup' ('Go Holland go', sort of), so yeah :p 

And the men's rowing eight is called the Holland Acht.

HOL(lan)D ON don't forget Holland's got Talent, The voice of Holland  AND OFC :bowdown:Hollandaise sauce:p

Edited by Dnl

1 hour ago, Dnl said:

HOL(lan)D ON don't forget Holland's got Talent, The voice of Holland  AND OFC :bowdown:Hollandaise sauce:p

I've vaguely heard of Hollandaise sauce but would have to google what it is :d 

Holland's Got Talent, The Voice of Holland....I would very much prefer that I can forget them :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Vojthas said:

My stereotype about French is that they don't learn any foreign languages. Stereotype confirmed by my Hungarian professor, who finished also French philology, and by one of the French I know personally (who speaks English but said that he's aware that most of his compatriots usually don't).

Yeah, that’s another big stereotype here. I’ve found it to be largely true actually.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Biggest surprise here would be that a majority of Americans even knows 'the Netherlands' (or even the incorrect 'Holland') is a country.

Yeah, I CONSTANTLY have to tell Americans that Holland isn’t a country (but a region?)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I CONSTANTLY have to tell Americans that Holland isn’t a country (but a region?)

The combination of the two provinces of South and North Holland :p 

For those who don't have anything better to do for 4 minutes or so, this explains it pretty well (including a quick mention of the black gold that is hagelslag, @brunamoura)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Well, Poland is still called Lechistan in some countries so let's don't get overexcited by the Holland/Netherlands deal :p

Well there's a name I've never heard of...to Google! :d 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well there's a name I've never heard of...to Google! :d 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechia

It's basically the same as some German clubs using the old Prussian name Borussia. We have clubs called Lechia in Poland instead :p