website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s why I’m for the legalization of marijuana, and the establishment of supervised consumption services in the United States. People are going to do drugs. That’s just a fact unfortunately, but we should at least try to offer them as much help as we can. Sydney’s supervised consumption center has been very successful. I’m surprised they had a law like this, especially knowing how much Aussies love their beers.

Drugs is a more touchy subject since there are millions of chemical combinations that can be sold as drugs. Alcohol & nicotine is pretty straight-forward, you can't just sell methanol out there in pubs. What I'm curious about is the anti-smoking hysteria and all that jazz, so you promote the so-called healthy nicotine-free lifestyle but want to legalise marijuana? So marijuana is the new nicotine? If you're against smoking in general how can you support marijuana usage in first place? I'd like to know how many of these marijuana supporters have actually smoked a single cigarette in their life? :p

The prohibition law is pure nonsense. It didn't work in the USA in the 30s and no way it's gonna work anywhere in 2019 :crazy:

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Drugs is a more touchy subject since there are millions of chemical combinations that can be sold as drugs. Alcohol & nicotine is pretty straight-forward, you can't just sell methanol out there in pubs. What I'm curious about is the anti-smoking hysteria and all that jazz, so you promote the so-called healthy nicotine-free lifestyle but want to legalise marijuana? So marijuana is the new nicotine? If you're against smoking in general how can you support marijuana usage in first place? I'd like to know how many of these marijuana supporters have actually smoked a single cigarette in their life? :p

The prohibition law is pure nonsense. It didn't work in the USA in the 30s and no way it's gonna work anywhere in 2019 :crazy:

I hate smoking and drinking. I never plan to do either. The reason I’m for legalizing marijuana is because it’s the lesser (and technically (very technically) safer than smoking) of two evils. We also have some many people locked up for carrying small amounts of weed, and studies have shown that arrest for drugs are generally discriminatory against minorities. I don’t believe we’ll ever achieve a smoke free society, but I think we can offer “safer” alternatives, and provide methods aid in the form of addiction and safe consumption services. I’m starting to take a similar position on the gun issue too. People want guns, that’s just how it is. Let’s advertise alternatives, promote gun safety, and institute buyback programs to try and get at least a few guns off the street.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Legalize drugs, criminalize cigarettes and you get the literal opposite of the current situation :p

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

26 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I hate smoking and drinking. I never plan to do either. The reason I’m for legalizing marijuana is because it’s the lesser (and technically (very technically) safer than smoking) of two evils. We also have some many people locked up for carrying small amounts of weed, and studies have shown that arrest for drugs are generally discriminatory against minorities. I don’t believe we’ll ever achieve a smoke free society, but I think we can offer “safer” alternatives, and provide methods aid in the form of addiction and safe consumption services. I’m starting to take a similar position on the gun issue too. People want guns, that’s just how it is. Let’s advertise alternatives, promote gun safety, and institute buyback programs to try and get at least a few guns off the street.

There is no "marijuana is safer" option. Besides you're not charged with DUI with a nicotine in your system but you are charged when it comes to cannabis. So, nicotine is actually the safer option when it comes to road safety unless of course you don't care about that. Better is the enemy of the good. Besides a serial cannabis user might eventually move onto a stronger and more dangerous drug. You give the cannabis finger and in due course they will take your hand supporting tons of new "safe" drugs. The widespread ban on cannabis is a history lesson from the opium wars & the morphine addiction from WWI & WWII. It's like the vaccination crisis now, some of the most deadly diseases have been erased so people forgot how it's like to die from polio or measles and claim vaccinations are no longer neccessary. Same with drug addicts who were dismissed as street junkies, prostitutes or whatever. We live in a time when you can parade as high-class drug addict and be proud of it. Cannabis is almost too common to be considered elite anymore. It's the morphine craze 2.0 only 100 years later IMO.

In USA people want guns because it's their Constitutional Right. You can't deprive society of their century-long habits. There are no millions of gun freaks in Poland because access to guns is strongly limited over here. You can buy an air gun or air pistol and that is it. You need a gun permit for everything else and it's notoriously difficult to obtain it. Smoking & drinking alcohol is the humanity's long-standing habits ever since Columbus shipped tobacco to the Old World. You're not going to change that with some federal laws or anything like that.

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Legalize drugs, criminalize cigarettes and you get the literal opposite of the current situation :p

I didn’t say to criminalize cigarettes. I’m actually doing my semester final (end of class) speech in communications on legalizing these types of things.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There is no "marijuana is safer" option. Besides you're not charged with DUI with a nicotine in your system but you are charged when it comes to cannabis. So, nicotine is actually the safer option when it comes to road safety unless of course you don't care about that. Better is the enemy of the good. Besides a serial cannabis user might eventually move onto a stronger and more dangerous drug. You give the cannabis finger and in due course they will take your hand supporting tons of new "safe" drugs. The widespread ban on cannabis is a history lesson from the opium wars & the morphine addiction from WWI & WWII. It's like the vaccination crisis now, some of the most deadly diseases have been erased so people forgot how it's like to die from polio or measles and claim vaccinations are no longer neccessary. Same with drug addicts who were dismissed as street junkies, prostitutes or whatever. We live in a time when you can parade as high-class drug addict and be proud of it. Cannabis is almost too common to be considered elite anymore. It's the morphine craze 2.0 only 100 years later IMO.

In USA people want guns because it's their Constitutional Right. You can't deprive society of their century-long habits. There are no millions of gun freaks in Poland because access to guns is strongly limited over here. You can buy an air gun or air pistol and that is it. You need a gun permit for everything else and it's notoriously difficult to obtain it. Smoking & drinking alcohol is the humanity's long-standing habits ever since Columbus shipped tobacco to the Old World. You're not going to change that with some federal laws or anything like that.

That’s all pretty of matter of opinion, with some good historical facts. I don’t think we’ll see eye to eye on this, but respect your position. 

My position remains unchanged, mostly because scientific research supports the initiatives I’m proposing, but your concerns are valid ones. I might even take them into consideration for part of my speech.

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s all pretty of matter of opinion, with some good historical facts. I don’t think we’ll see eye to eye on this, but respect your position. 

My position remains unchanged, mostly because scientific research supports the initiatives I’m proposing, but your concerns are valid ones. I might even take them into consideration for part of my speech.

Science while mathematically superior takes the human element out of it. People will always know better whether it's the (un)common sense or just the option of taking short cuts or plain old stupidity. Two plus two doesn't always equal four when there's human element involved. Richard Gatling invented the machine gun in order to limit the casualties of the warfare. How did that work out? Tesla was a pacifist but his sunbeam gun was the most lethal concept this side of the nuclear bomb. And I'm not even gonna talk about the Manhattan Project members who later became opposed to their own work.

When people want to do something for the "good of the society" they often don't account for the side-effects that eventually take over. You can very quickly develop a monster you cannot control sooner or later.

Back to the "safe cannabis" stuff, I smoke cigarettes since I'm 15 so I'm sure for all the bad habits of this world (while I won't promote cannabis as "safe" by any means) :p I first tried weed when I was 17yo but that was still the "forbidden fruit" craze as well. 

Good luck with your speech ;)

14 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’ll get worse as we get closer to Thanksgiving (tomorrow afternoon/evening). Southern California drivers are notoriously the worst drivers in the US (frequent brake checks, no one indicates change of lane, park incorrectly, zero respect for other drivers, violate right of way, etc.) I think @dezbee2008 and @Maxim Fastovsky might be able to back me up here.

Tailgating, honking if you go too slow (still over the speed limit), my neighbor's 18 year old kid cut off someone and the guy followed him home and beat him up outside of his garage because he did that

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also, I don’t think the world is “flate”, not would I ever eat a BigMac in my life. I’m also pretty certain I know the difference between :MON and :MAR. I just made an honest/lazy mistake.

you also confuse between Sydney and Disney :lol:

18 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’ll get worse as we get closer to Thanksgiving (tomorrow afternoon/evening). Southern California drivers are notoriously the worst drivers in the US (frequent brake checks, no one indicates change of lane, park incorrectly, zero respect for other drivers, violate right of way, etc.) I think @dezbee2008 and @Maxim Fastovsky might be able to back me up here.

Drivers here in Florida are bad with most if not all of the problems listed above, especially on Interstate 4 with all the construction