website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just now, bestmen said:

Suicide Rate By Country by Population 2019, :LTUNumber 1 :yikes: they don't like the food there or what

p_13477vh3c1.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Interesting stats here. Suicide rates appear to be highest in quickly developing countries, and countries with major internal strife or economic downturn. Also, countries that are see as “epicenters” of suicide may not actually as bad as countries with lower populations. One worrying thing is that the international suicide rate is rising, I believe (don’t quote me on that), and there’s a bunch of reasons for it, but a lot of “developed” countries are struggling with ways to combat the rise.

If you or anyone you know may be at risk for suicide never hesitate to find or ask for help. You are human, your allowed to have emotions, make mistakes, feel down, etc., but it’s your ability to overcome that with the help of others that makes humans truly unique. Should a user or even guest on this forum ever feel they “cant go on”, “are losing faith in themselves as a person”, “are feeling lost”, “are feeling forgotten”, “is going to end it”; don’t not hesitate to contact me. I’ve helped prevent suicides before, and have almost been the cause of a potential suicide. I myself once thought about suicide, but I was lucky enough to have a support system around me, that stopped me before I did anything terrible. I will go great lengths, and people who’ve been on here a while should know this, to prevent a tragedy. Your life matters to me whether you think so or not. Your just a friend I haven’t gotten to know yet, but would love to get to. If you ever feel like I said something that really made think negatively please contact me. I will immediately work to stop that habit, and take those words out of my vocabulary. Again, life is great. It can rough. It can be fun. It can be dark and sad. It can be wonderful and happy. You matter. My PM, DM, social media, email, text, and phone are always available should you need someone. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I was today years old when I found out Simone Biles is both a citizen of the US and a citizen of...Belize :yikes:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I was today years old when I found out Simone Biles is both a citizen of the US and a citizen of...Belize :yikes:

Know I only found this out because my dad dropped a random story on me today. I was telling him about how athletes are sometimes just selected out of the blue by a country to keep for them at the Olympics. Then out of the blue he goes “You know I think I went to college and played American Football at the University of Montana with a guy who made the Belize Olympic Team in 1984. So obviously I immediately head for the Wikipedia page to see if we can’t find his results, and sure enough, he was 100m athlete for Belize. He ran 10.96 (pretty respectable) at the 1984 games. However, I looked at the 1988 games and saw that he didn’t run. I just happened to up the Cycling section be accidental, and bam ?. This dude was also a Track Cyclist from Belize and actually made it out of the Sprint qualification round that year (he was eliminated in first repechage). Sometimes man dad drops little bits of knowledge like this. I swear he does it like once a year. Some examples “I was once hired to coach American Football in Finland” (mind blown), “I could have died at sea” (mind blown), “I wanted to name you Josh” (didn’t talk to him for a week), “My friend played in the NFL for 11 seasons” (meh), “My friend decided to invent the first broom certified by the PGA to clear sand off the fairway” (mind blown, Also we don’t you have good ideas).

So glad he’ll be my traveling bunny for the 2020 Summer Olympics :yes

39 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Why? :lol:

I quite like Matthew. I think it’s the perfect name for me. If had to be born with a different, Joshua (gross), wouldn’t be it. I having nothing against Joshua’s of the world. The name just isn’t a good fit for me. I could see myself as a Jack, Dylan, or Alexander, but not Josh. I would have most preferred Mathias over Matthew.

California has just become the first state to pass a bill mandating that university level athletes be paid their fair share. Earlier this year, the NCAA threatened to kick out all California universities. There’s a few ways this goes down, but I’m going to grab some popcorn and enjoy the fireworks.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

California has just become the first state to pass a bill mandating that university level athletes be paid their fair share. Earlier this year, the NCAA threatened to kick out all California universities. There’s a few ways this goes down, but I’m going to grab some popcorn and enjoy the fireworks.

@bmo being the College Football expert you are, Do you have an opinion in the “Should college athletes by paid” debate?

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I quite like Matthew. I think it’s the perfect name for me. If had to be born with a different, Joshua (gross), wouldn’t be it. I having nothing against Joshua’s of the world. The name just isn’t a good fit for me. I could see myself as a Jack, Dylan, or Alexander, but not Josh. I would have most preferred Mathias over Matthew.

That's because you're used to it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

College athletes should get all of their educational needs (including stuff like cost of living) funded as long as they're competing for the university. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!