website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just now, heywoodu said:

Do you have situations where what you say depends not on who you're saying it to or about, but what your gender is? :d 

not sure if I understood correctly lol but yes, Always, because everything is depending on the gender. The main thing is to remember that Slovak language has singular and plural number and three gender forms - masculine, feminin, neutral. the ending of the words thus change depending on the given combination of the grammatical gender

it´s so freaking complicated that I don´t even know how to explain :lol: use wiki if you want https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_declension

+ we have one other special thing the kids had to learn, it is called (vybrane slová) litterally translated as - the chosen words - it´s the only words when you have to write y instead of i after b, m, p, r, t, s, v, z and l in all others you have to write i :lol:

Just now, hckosice said:

not sure if I understood correctly lol but yes, Always, because everything is depending on the gender. The main thing is to remember that Slovak language has singular and plural number and three gender forms - masculine, feminin, neutral. the ending of the words thus change depending on the given combination of the grammatical gender

it´s so freaking complicated that I don´t even know how to explain :lol: use wiki if you want https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_declension

+ we have one other special thing the kids had to learn, it is called (vybrane slová) litterally translated as - the chosen words - it´s the only words when you have to write y instead of i after b, m, p, r, t, s, v, z and l in all others you have to write i :lol:

What I mean is like in Portuguese, where you and me would say "Obrigado" if we want to thank someone, whereas a woman would say "Obrigada" when thanking someone....so it's not about who you're saying it to, it's about what gender the speaker has :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

What I mean is like in Portuguese, where you and me would say "Obrigado" if we want to thank someone, whereas a woman would say "Obrigada" when thanking someone....so it's not about who you're saying it to, it's about what gender the speaker has :p 

Spanish is kind of like that. Everything is best on gender. In a mixed group, the masculine form of the word is used. The grammar is a bit inverted for us English speakers.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, heywoodu said:

Ah, ok. yes, sure :d

Male: I had a beer. "Ja som mal pivo"

Female: I had a beer. " Ja som mala pivo"

Male: I am hungry. "Ja som hladný"

Female: I am hungry. "Ja som hladná"

+ there the third gender "neutral" for example a children,  who would say "Ja som malo pivo" and "Ja som bolo hladné"

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Ah, ok. yes, sure :d

Male: I had a beer. "Ja som mal pivo"

Female: I had a beer. " Ja som mala pivo"

Male: I am hungry. "Ja som hladný"

Female: I am hungry. "Ja som hladná"

+ there the third gender "neutral" for example a children,  who would say "Ja som malo pivo" and "Ja som bolo hladné"

So if you hear "ja som malo pivo", the kid is in trouble :evil:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

So if you hear "ja som malo pivo", the kid is in trouble :evil:

well, it is just to make an example of the neutral gender. "Dieťa" in slovakian means children, and dieťa is classified in the neutral gender, but ofc no children will say it this way, a boy will say it obviously in the masculine and girl in feminin gender. It´s a really complicated grammar. trust me.

Among the "neutral gender" nouns is for example also the word "Dievča" or "dievčatko" girl or little girl, but you use it only to say about, the girls themselves will speak using the femiine gender.

Again to understan a bit what I am trying to explain you just look at the wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_declension#The_Neuter_Gender      

because there no chance I´ll be able to explain you correctly and you´ll never understand what I am trying to explain :lol:

Schools runs from March to December.

Exact day of start varies with the region. 

No presents of any kind to the teacher unless you, for some personal reason, want to give him/her one (which would make you seem like the teacher's pet anyway haha). 

In private schools you have to wear the school uniform every year. In state schools, it depends of your age: in primary school kids wear a sort of mandatory white lab coat ("guardapolvo"). In secondary school (ages 12-18), students wear whatever they want.