website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Satellites during Cold War weren't standouts, they were standard procedure. USA controlled Costa Rica & Panama Canal, tried to control Nicaragua but failed in their effort just like the Bay of Pigs invasion in Cuba. You win some, you lose some ;)

Of course USA also supported Duvalier in Haiti and that eventually became very problematic as well.

I don’t know how much of a hand the US has had in Costa Rica affairs to be honest. They were never communist, so we never had a reason to bother them. They had a bloody Civil War in 1948, but them demilitarized completely after learning how hard the loss of life for power can be. Now they rank as best nation in Latin American on many global indicators. 

I’m not saying that we didn’t whore ourselves through Central America, I just don’t think we messed with Costa Rica that much. We do really need to learn to let other countries make their own decisions. The only time we should step in is when people like Saddam or Bashar are in power somewhere. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know how much of a hand the US has had in Costa Rica affairs to be honest. They were never communist, so we never had a reason to bother them. They had a bloody Civil War in 1948, but them demilitarized completely after learning how hard the loss of life for power can be. Now they rank as best nation in Latin American on many global indicators. 

I’m not saying that we didn’t whore ourselves through Central America, I just don’t think we messed with Costa Rica that much. We do really need to learn to let other countries make their own decisions. The only time we should step in is when people like Saddam or Bashar are in power somewhere. 

Or Khadaffi. That went well, look at the paradise Libya has become.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I might have got lost on calendar and missed the Palm Sunday (not that I'd go to church on that occasion, but usually I know when that day is), but there is one thing that is year by year the same on every Holy Week - my pollen allergic runny nose. F*ck trees!

16 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Or Khadaffi. That went well, look at the paradise Libya has become.

Eh, once the revolution overthrows the current government, it will be fine (probably).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yep, getting rid of Khadaffi or Saddam hasn't solved any problems :dunno:

True.

I know this is old news, but I’d like to start a petition to replace the NZ flag with this masterpiece: 

1003A4A8-852D-449B-BEC9-4283C534DC71.jpeg

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Eh, once the revolution overthrows the current government, it will be fine (probably).

And then the whole thing will likely restart again and again. It's sad, but removing people like Khadaffi in countries like Libya leads to seemingly perpetual civil war, conflict and other such violent things.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!