website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Real doozy of a request here, but did anyone happen to save/keep/download to desktop/drive/thumbdrive the PDF results from the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games? I’m able to get some stuff off of the way back machine, but it’s really enough to consider the job anywhere near done. I’m hoping the likes of @mrv86 @Rdbc or anyone else can help me out here. If you don’t have them, but may know someone who does, or could give me access to them, I’d be all ears to that as well. 

My collection of multi-sports games results is coming along nicely. I only collect results from 2008-current (because 2008 is when I first realized these events where a thing, plus PDF technology before that leaves quite a few things to be desired at this point). This is the last “hole” I need to fill in 2018. Currently I have about 48 games worth of complete PDF results. There’s still quite a few results I’d love to have, but that I don’t have any means of obtaining. I’m always open to donations (because I do really want to keep a record for everyone, even if I haven’t found the best way to post them yet). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Vojthas said:

But maybe you've heard about :HUN "Lengyelország" or :LTU "Lenkija"?

Nope :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 hours ago, Bohemia said:

We learn English from age 11 (well now it's even earlier) and 1 or 2 years later we can either learn Spanish or German (or another language but these are the most common ones), but even with all these years of practice the level is very low, our education system regarding foreign languages sucks.

I'm studying tourism right now, with students that are around 19 years old (I'm a few years older) so you'd expect them to have a good level in English but it's quite mediocre, even the teacher has a bad accent and I have to correct her sometimes because she makes mistakes...

I honestly think that many countries where you travel to and then realize not many people there speak english (france, spain, germany) is not because they don't know or they don't learn, but because there is no real practice level, as everything in foreign language is dubbed (tv shows and movies).

From all the places i've been to, the ones where english was better spoken was Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands. Guess what they have in common? :d  No dubbing culture! 

On 28/02/2020 at 07:11, Olympian1010 said:

True? False? Kind of right?

Fat is an American stereotype, but I think the more common one is that we’re all cowboys that love shooting guns and talking with a Southern accent. 

Really sad that there is nothing for Portugal, but if it was I would guess that it would be that.... we are always complaining? :lol:

12 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I CONSTANTLY have to tell Americans that Holland isn’t a country (but a region?)

It's too deep rooted and people won't bother to change.. Just like China and Japan who still call them Helan and Oranda.

And we from the Malay Archipelago invent the word "Belanda" to call it.

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

Really sad that there is nothing for Portugal, but if it was I would guess that it would be that.... we are always complaining? :lol:

But that sounds stereotypical for every country and basically just humans in general :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, kungshamra71 said:

I honestly think that many countries where you travel to and then realize not many people there speak english (france, spain, germany) is not because they don't know or they don't learn, but because there is no real practice level, as everything in foreign language is dubbed (tv shows and movies).

From all the places i've been to, the ones where english was better spoken was Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands. Guess what they have in common? :d  No dubbing culture! 

Dubbing culture should be made illegal by the UN or something. It is sickening and fucks up both language skills and shows/movies :mad:

2 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

True! Plus dubbing is usually bad. 

Although more and more people watch shows with subtitles to improve their English (at least that's the case with the youths)

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Dubbing culture should be made illegal by the UN or something. It is sickening and fucks up both language skills and shows/movies :mad:

We dont have dubbing culture, and when i was a kid I used to think that was just a spanish thing, until I travel further away and realised we were actually the "weird ones" as most of other countries were dubbing haha

Some family of mine lived for years near Barcelona, and I still remember the shock of having to go to the cinema watch "Bruce Almighty" in spanish.... I mean, Morgan Freeman... speaking spanish...... 

20 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m hoping the likes of @mrv86 @Rdbc or anyone else can help me out here. If you don’t have them, but may know someone who does, or could give me access to them, I’d be all ears to that as well. 

Unfortunately don't have them :(