website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

So I had the weirdest dream. Apparently Olympic short track competition turned into a total carnage. It ended up with :MDA Moldova taking surprise gold, :LES Lesotho silver and :MON Monaco bronze. :lol:

Additionally, we all cheered for @Olympian1010 who took a bronze medal as part of American nordic combined relay. :p

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

So I had the weirdest dream. Apparently Olympic short track competition turned into a total carnage. It ended up with :MDA Moldova taking surprise gold, :LES Lesotho silver and :MON Monaco bronze. :lol:

Additionally, we all cheered for @Olympian1010 who took a bronze medal as part of American nordic combined relay. :p

Da fuq? You really need to check your meds old man :p. This gave me a genuine hard laugh though, so thank you very much for sharing.

Out curiosity, how did @brunamoura and @heywoodu do in the single mixed relay for Brazil?

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Da fuq? You really need to check your meds old man :p. This gave me a genuine hard laugh though, so thank you very much for sharing.

Out curiosity, how did @brunamoura and @heywoodu do in the single mixed relay for Brazil?

I'm afraid that narrative got hidden behind the short track story, which was all over Olympic channel and social media. :p

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

I'm afraid that narrative got hidden behind the short track story, which was all over Olympic channel and social media. :p

Now I know it was surely a dream because you were watching the Olympics on the Olympic Channel (and willingly I might add :p). Are you sure you weren’t dreaming about a YOG? 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Now I know it was surely a dream because you were watching the Olympics on the Olympic Channel (and willingly I might add :p). Are you sure you weren’t dreaming about a YOG? 

Nope. YOG doesn't get broadcasted even in dreams. :coffee:

#banbestmen

Honestly one of the greatest articles of the year, totally worth a read and laugh:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/memes-that-defined-the-2010s

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Honestly one of the greatest articles of the year, totally worth a read and laugh:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/memes-that-defined-the-2010s

There's maybe 5-10 I've ever heard of..

Makes me think about a 15-year old kid who gets a chance to study with us and who's always on his phone in the free moments just scrolling through random images with some random text. "No these are memes", he says, while not even letting out a single smile at them.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

There's maybe 5-10 I've ever heard of..

Makes me think about a 15-year old kid who gets a chance to study with us and who's always on his phone in the free moments just scrolling through random images with some random text. "No these are memes", he says, while not even letting out a single smile at them.

I’ve never really understood meme culture myself. I had bad experiences with it in the past, plus I’ve always clicked better with people born in the 80s and 90s. I do think meme culture is super cool when analyzed and studied at a psychological level. There are also many memes I find personally amusing and that I enjoy. I know about 50-60 of the memes/trends on the last, and to me, there was one big omission (maybe two) that I noticed. Understanding memes (how they work, their impact, their social meaning, their deeper and darker meanings) is definitely a generational thing mostly. That said, almost one can make a good meme from time to time.