website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

College athletes should get all of their educational needs (including stuff like cost of living) funded as long as they're competing for the university. 

Many NCAA athletes do get financial aid. The bill in California states that must be paid on top of that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Don't college athletes already get a scholarship and an easier path to get a degree if compared to normal students?

Yes, which is why I’m a bit conflicted on the issue. The NCAA has run university sports like a monopoly, and they make millions, if not billions, or dollars a year off the athletes merchandise. I believe the bill makes universities give athletes money to use their names on t-shirts, jerseys, etc.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

For a student, one might say having their education paid for is quite decent compensation. They'll earn a pure salary once they play for a professional team (if they're good enough and work hard enough to get there, much like students will have to work hard enough to get a good paying job).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@bmo being the College Football expert you are, Do you have an opinion in the “Should college athletes by paid” debate?

I don’t think they should be paid. The whole idea of college sports is amateurism. Plus, where is that money coming from??? Football & Basketball provide all the money for other sports at that university. There isn’t enough money.

17 minutes ago, bmo said:

I don’t think they should be paid. The whole idea of college sports is amateurism. Plus, where is that money coming from??? Football & Basketball provide all the money for other sports at that university. There isn’t enough money.

Well the NCAA makes a lot of money off using their names on merchandise. The argument is that these athletes are destroying themselves for an education and the least we could do is pay them too. I very conflicted by it, but I’m not a fan of the NCAA. If this law forces California schools to create a rival league, I’ll support it. 

Hasbro is always good for making some funny Monopoly versions, this time they've managed to come up with one that makes the taste of victory even sweeter (if you're a man) :evil: 

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-new-monopoly-game-ms-monopoly-lets-women-to-earn-more-than-men-20190910

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

@Griff88 I was watching some behind the scenes coverage from rehearsals for the opening “dance” at the 2018 Asian Games. I noticed not all the girls wore hijabs when in their gym clothes. I was wondering if some muslims don’t wear it, or if they’re just a different religion.

On 11/09/2019 at 00:58, heywoodu said:

Hasbro is always good for making some funny Monopoly versions, this time they've managed to come up with one that makes the taste of victory even sweeter (if you're a man) :evil: 

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-new-monopoly-game-ms-monopoly-lets-women-to-earn-more-than-men-20190910

Or sheds light on a very serious problem if you’re an American woman.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Or sheds light on a very serious problem if you’re an American woman.

Not only American, don't you worry. This whole game is a pretty big middle finger towards women though, but above all: all those people taking it way too serious. Of course Hasbro doesn't want to shine a light on any problem, they want to come up with something they know will stir up discussion because that sells better.