website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So it’s like Christmas but by Halloween instead of Christmas? 

Being a student of history I would imagine that the “evil” is Spain because of the historic rift between the Orange Netherlands and the Spainish Crown.

No, it's because of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, that's why Spain is evil in Dutch culture.

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

No, it's because of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, that's why Spain is evil in Dutch culture.

Part of the tradition is cutting off the toe of a goalkeeper. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Basically it's this dude who comes near the end of the year and gives presents to the children who have been good (since you're only 11 yourself, I won't spoil the fun by saying it's generally the parents buying the presents), whereas the children who have been bad get some sort of punishment (like being brought back to Spain where for whatever reason he comes from even though the whole thing is based on a saint who lived in/near modern day Turkey/Greece). And there's a lot of candies and candy-like objects involved :d 

The commercial/current version of Santa Claus was more or less modelled after this, including the whole 'old man with a white beard and red/white clothes and such' thing :p 

Don’t think I didn’t notice your insolence.

My flight is over the Atlantic right now

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, wumo26 said:

I think @Agger will be a little annoyed that Aarhus is referred to as a suburb to Copenhagen. :p (Also the clip with the footballer, who totally fails a throw-in, he is from a football club in Aarhus :d)  

I remembered the announcement of European Mixed Team Badminton Championships host for 2019, there was something like: "It will be the first time that Frederiksberg, which is typically treated as a part of Copenhagen, has staged a European Badminton Championships".

I was like "why making things so complicated lol"

7 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

Here’s a very useful and nice short guide to this amazing Sinterklaas season :d

"Just agree with everyone", except for this guy :d 

Whatever he says, about whichever topic, never ever agree with him because he will be against literally everything as long as it makes for controversy and, because of that, time for his face on TV :lol: 

kfPhdqm.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

I remembered the announcement of European Mixed Team Badminton Championships host for 2019, there was something like: "It will be the first time that Frederiksberg, which is typically treated as a part of Copenhagen, has staged a European Badminton Championships".

I was like "why making things so complicated lol"

It's because Frederiksberg is a separate municipality of Copenhagen. 

The red part is the Municipality of Copenhagen and the white/gray part is the Municipilaty of Frederiksberg

image.png.d480bd1c9477159610d8d8564c43184c.png

So Frederiksberg is kinda like the Lesotho of Denmark?

@heywoodu It's some "interesting" people living in the Netherlands? 

A 69-year-old entrepreneur in the Netherlands wants to legally change his age to 49 so he can go back to work and meet more women on Tinder, according to his lawsuit.

The self-proclaimed positivity guru argued that he feels 20 years younger, and compared the age difference to being transgender, despite the concepts being completely different.

"You can change your name. You can change your gender. Why not your age? Nowhere are you so discriminated against as with your age," he told De Telegraaf.

Ratelband argued that he is a "young god" and said changing his age would allow him to "live differently," saying he would get more matches on Tinder if he could use a younger age.

https://www.thisisinsider.com/dutch-man-emile-ratelband-wants-to-legally-change-his-age-to-49-2018-11