website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

@kungshamra71 Since you live in the Netherlands: what's your opinion about kruidnoten? :cheer: (in most places wrongly called pepernoten)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

@Agger @wumo26 Just came across this (little bit old, 2015) video of a pretty good Dutch TV program and - without taking it all too seriously - it made me think about our Danish people here :p

Spoiler

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

@Agger @wumo26 Just came across this (little bit old, 2015) video of a pretty good Dutch TV program and - without taking it all too seriously - it made me think about our Danish people here :p

Reveal hidden contents

I think @Agger will be a little annoyed that Aarhus is referred to as a suburb to Copenhagen. :p (Also the clip with the footballer, who totally fails a throw-in, he is from a football club in Aarhus :d)  

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Hide contents

Don't give our government any good ideas... :(

21 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

@kungshamra71 Since you live in the Netherlands: what's your opinion about kruidnoten? :cheer: (in most places wrongly called pepernoten)

I have to admit that from all the crazy things related to Sinterklaas season that I found in the Netherlands, kruidnoten was the last thing I was expecting someone to ask my opinion about :d

But yes, I like it! Only thing I despise is the dropjes, certainly created by some evil mastermind that chose to disguise the most hideous thing ever as candies :lol:

4 minutes ago, kungshamra71 said:

I have to admit that from all the crazy things related to Sinterklaas season that I found in the Netherlands, kruidnoten was the last thing I was expecting someone to ask my opinion about :d

But yes, I like it! Only thing I despise is the dropjes, certainly created by some evil mastermind that chose to disguise the most hideous thing ever as candies :lol:

Saying "I don't like drop" is like saying "I don't like fruit", as in, there are tons of different kinds and tastes :p 

Also, apart from the soooooooo tiring "Zwarte Piet" discussion (get a life or go to work or something instead of using a children's party to protest :lol:) I like everything about Sinterklaas season :d (apart from the disgusting pepernoten, but kruidnoten, chocolate letters and everything, festive atmosphere, presents, yum)

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sinterklaas season 

Your American friend needs assistance in understanding your weird  :p Dutch traditions

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Your American friend needs assistance in understanding your weird  :p Dutch traditions

Basically it's this dude who comes near the end of the year and gives presents to the children who have been good (since you're only 11 yourself, I won't spoil the fun by saying it's generally the parents buying the presents), whereas the children who have been bad get some sort of punishment (like being brought back to Spain where for whatever reason he comes from even though the whole thing is based on a saint who lived in/near modern day Turkey/Greece). And there's a lot of candies and candy-like objects involved :d 

The commercial/current version of Santa Claus was more or less modelled after this, including the whole 'old man with a white beard and red/white clothes and such' thing :p 

Edited by heywoodu

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Basically it's this dude who comes near the end of the year and gives presents to the children who have been good (since you're only 11 yourself, I won't spoil the fun by saying it's generally the parents buying the presents), whereas the children who have been bad get some sort of punishment (like being brought back to Spain where for whatever reason he comes from even though the whole thing is based on a saint who lived in/near modern day Turkey/Greece). And there's a lot of candies and candy-like objects involved :d 

The commercial/current version of Santa Claus was more or less modelled after this, including the whole 'old man with a white beard and red/white clothes and such' thing :p 

So it’s like Christmas but by Halloween instead of Christmas? 

Being a student of history I would imagine that the “evil” is Spain because of the historic rift between the Orange Netherlands and the Spainish Crown.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

So it’s like Christmas but by Halloween instead of Christmas? 

Being a student of history I would imagine that the “evil” is Spain because of the historic rift between the Orange Netherlands and the Spainish Crown.

No, the actual day is on 5 December :p (or 6 if you're Belgian)