website statistics

What are your 5 best Football World Cup Finals ever?

thepharoah

54 minutes ago, LDOG said:

I don't think that's too interesting :p it's pretty much normal for most champion teams... France will be undefeated in world cups since 2014 until they lose to someone in 2022. And so on with every champion team except for ex. Spain 2010 who lost a match in the same WC they won.

The German team had 11 straight matches without a loss. The record is 13 of Pele's Brazil. I wouldn't say it's something that common. 

Plus, before 1994, we had (and still do by the way) the record of most matches without a win at a WC - 17. If that is not a top notch sporting underdog story, than i don't know what is. :d

On 07/04/2020 at 05:46, heywoodu said:

If they did, they might have had some serious safety issues trying to get out...we think the Qatar World Cup is an atrocity, but often forget that there was already a World Cup final played a couple hundred meters from where people were being tortured and killed.

Rob Rensenbrink, who passed away in January, had that trophy basically in his hands in the dying seconds :( 

I dont think so, they werent mad and doing something to an another national team players will be disastrosius to their image.

Just now, konig said:

I dont think so, they werent mad and doing something to an another national team players will be disastrosius to their image.

Yeah, I don't think it was Argentina's players they would have had to worry about. Anyway, the main thing was of course the torturing and murdering going on, it being close to the stadium doesn't make it worse but does add an extra dark layer to the 1978 World Cup. Final referee Sergio Gonella has ever since been seen as someone trying everything to make Argentina win, sadly the Dutch players didn't keep their heads cool and after a relatively short while started responding to the non-stop provocations from their opponents. Lesson one: don't respond to provocations :p 

Dark days, 1978 makes Qatar 2022 seem like a fun little event.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yeah, I don't think it was Argentina's players they would have had to worry about. Anyway, the main thing was of course the torturing and murdering going on, it being close to the stadium doesn't make it worse but does add an extra dark layer to the 1978 World Cup. Final referee Sergio Gonella has ever since been seen as someone trying everything to make Argentina win, sadly the Dutch players didn't keep their heads cool and after a relatively short while started responding to the non-stop provocations from their opponents. Lesson one: don't respond to provocations :p 

Dark days, 1978 makes Qatar 2022 seem like a fun little event.

Is probably one of the worst part of our history like country, that goverment not was the onlyones who did that, the same did the guerrillas of ERP and Montoneros.....it was the same in all Latin Americas: pro American dictadorships and pro USSR guerrillas.

Dont understimate the deads can we have in Qatar 2022  with buildings the stadiums with 50 C :p

Edited by konig

For me the top 5 world cup finals were.......

1) 1986: for 99% of argentinians will be like that for the meaning of that World Cup, the last title, with Maradona in his best moment and with the goal of Burruchaga in the last moments of the match.

2) 1974: Two impresives teams like Germany and Netherlands makes an expectacular final, is that kind of situation to you want to "win both", Gerd Muller has his deserved title.

3) 1950: Uruguay defeating Brazil in that World Cup was one of the better examples "David vs Goliat" of all the world cups for me.

4) 1930: The first final, a terrible hard one when the uruguayans start to have the fame to be "hard" with rivals.

5) 1970: the best national team ever destroy all their rivals and Italy wasnt the exception, for that reason they are here.