website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

2 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I guess no international sports events in summer. even some countries contain the pandemic earlier than others, people still go against international travel.

I didn't mean summer obviously, maybe in December or November, even though I know that's unlikely/impossible.

at least I hope they don't cancel 2021 World Championships, just reschedule them. it's hard to qualify for the Olympics and there are some non-Olympic events, therefore cancelling the 2021 Worlds means two years without Worlds/Olympics for so many athletes

I feel sad for those veteran players. They face much more difficulties than those younger ones and they have to keep their conditions for one more year. I know at least 5-10 Chinese athletes may lose their chance due to their age, injuries and conditions. Some young players may have better chance. Sort of unfair for their persistence.

It is a extraordinary situation. There will be athletes who will suffer due to this decision, there will be athletes who will benefit from it. 

well, there are worse things than that, does not matter how tragic it might be for some individuals, I think postponing is the only right thing to do 

What is this 'Tokyo 2020' the thread title talks about?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I feel sad for those veteran players. They face much more difficulties than those younger ones and they have to keep their conditions for one more year. I know at least 5-10 Chinese athletes may lose their chance due to their age, injuries and conditions. Some young players may have better chance. Sort of unfair for their persistence.

Any decision will always be bad for some and good for others. Older athletes might have their chance go up in smoke, or at least be made harder, while younger athletes who are decent but not absolute elite right now might be serious medal contenders in a year.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What is this 'Tokyo 2020' the thread title talks about?

You just opened a whole new thread :) branding & name of the Games is one of the bigger issues IOC and LOC has to deal with

3 minutes ago, call me matt said:

You just opened a whole new thread :) branding & name of the Games is one of the bigger issues IOC and LOC has to deal with

Apparently that's already solved, everything will stay with 2020 :lol: 

The games should have been postponed to October-November I feel. Now if there is an earthquake or tsunami next year in Japan or if China donates another new virus due to their foolishness of eating anything and everything there won't be any Olympics. So that's a 8 year drought of Olympic games .

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

The games should have been postponed to October-November I feel. Now if there is an earthquake or tsunami next year in Japan or if China donates another new virus due to their foolishness of eating anything and everything there won't be any Olympics. So that's a 8 year drought of Olympic games .

What if it was postponed to October-November and there was an earthquake then?