website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

3 minutes ago, Wumo said:

German fencer, Max Hartung, has announced he will not participate in Tokyo this summer. He will only take part in the Games if it is being postponed. In a interview he said he needed to set an example to protect his fellow-athletes. It has to be said Hartung is chairman of the German Athlete Association. 

https://tokio.sportschau.de/tokio2020/nachrichten/Hartung-sagt-Nein-zu-Olympia-Druck-auf-IOC-wird-groesser,olympia6956.html (in German)

The IOC would be happy to see him gone :p

First the advertising rules, now this :d

I’m hearing that the IOC will wait a further 4 weeks before announcing their decision.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The IOC would be happy to see him gone :p

First the advertising rules, now this :d

I’m hearing that the IOC will wait a further 4 weeks before announcing their decision.

Want to share where you're hearing that? :yes

Our health minister just said he didn't wish that french athletes to be sent to Tokyo

https://www.ouest-france.fr/jeux-olympiques/coronavirus-le-ministre-de-la-sante-ne-souhaite-pas-envoyer-d-athletes-francais-aux-jo-2020-6788430

Obviously, he is not the one calling the shots, but i'd be surprised if this doesn't become an official statement from the french gouvernement very soon.

Edited by De_Gambassi

3 hours ago, Jur said:

Spanish press is saying the IOC would anounce today the delay of the games.

I need this source ASAP. I have some information to add.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I’ve got a little more than that. Unfortunately I’m lacking evidence at the moment. However, a link to the media outlets cited by @Jur may be enough for me to share what I have (in the form of an article at least).

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ve got a little more than that. Unfortunately I’m lacking evidence at the moment. However, a link to the media outlets cited by @Jur may be enough for me to share what I have (in the form of an article at least).

Didn't your parents ever tell you that sharing is caring? :thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Didn't your parents ever tell you that sharing is caring? :thumbup:

Yeah, but “if you’re not first (to report it), then you’re last.”

Edited by Olympian1010

6 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

1 - What phelps said.  The agreement between USC and the city of Los Angeles is that they can do whatever they want to the Coliseum so long as they make it available for the Olympics.  Again, this means they just spent nearly $300 million on renovations to improve the stadium with little regard for hosting athletics, which will require an additional $300 million for the temporary overlay.  I was there for the first time a few years ago visiting a friend in LA.  For a building that's nearly a century old, I'm moderately surprised it's still standing.  That there's public transportation there helps, so that will be a key selling point during Games time.

2 - Half the ceremonies is not a small deal.  Debatable how much Kroenke and his interests will be involved, but now that he's firmly planted himself into the LA landscape, I'm sure he'll do what he can to capitalize on the Olympics being in LA.  Remember, SoFi is his stadium.  He owns and operates it, as opposed to the Coliseum which is owned by the city.

3 - Depends if it's a new arena or a replacement for the Forum, which right now is slated to host gymnastics.  I agree with phelps that I've never been a big fan of the current plan for swimming.  Not sure a new arena would be an option if if displaced gymnastics, but it's an interesting theory.

As a psl holder in SoFi I would love to see a much bigger participation.  Though beyond soccer there really isn't much they can host.   It's way too big for rugby.  Right now the stadium is not even in the plans for 2026 world cup