website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

On 05/01/2020 at 15:31, Olympian1010 said:

CGF has caved to India and ISSF. India will now host shooting at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Medals will count as official and towards the final medal table. Full decision will be released soon. Source: https://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=3414

According to BBC, Archery is also on the table: https://www.bbc.com/sport/commonwealth-games/51013587

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some news on the Commonwealth Games archery and shooting compromise: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1764

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some news on the Commonwealth Games archery and shooting compromise: https://games24.totallympics.com/?p=1764

One week following the Closing Ceremony of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, the CGF shall issue a medal table that includes results from the Chandigarh 2022 Commonwealth Archery and Shooting Championships, as a further and final legitimate ranking of competing nations and territories from the respective competitions.

So the "final official" rankings will essentially be forgotten by the general public. I guess India gets to feel good about their extra medals? Seems like a bit of a slap in the face to all parties.

With this drama around the Commonwealth Games, I thought I’d ask the following question. 

Does anyone actually care about the medal table?

I have never once in my life cared where the US anyone else finished on the medal table. I only care about how many countries won gold, and how many countries won medals. The medal table is nice for me because I can see both of those data points easily, and I can see how medals an individual country won. I’m not really concerned with the actual placing, and I think countries that put an emphasis on their placing have a poor strategy for success.

• 5 months later...

Birmingham 2022 is teasing a big announcement they’ll make tomorrow. I would imagine this will be the final sports program (complete with events, and/or schedule), motto, or some big celebrity endorsement. It won’t be the mascot because that contest just opened.

On 25/02/2020 at 06:25, Olympian1010 said:

With this drama around the Commonwealth Games, I thought I’d ask the following question. 

I have never once in my life cared where the US anyone else finished on the medal table. I only care about how many countries won gold, and how many countries won medals. The medal table is nice for me because I can see both of those data points easily, and I can see how medals an individual country won. I’m not really concerned with the actual placing, and I think countries that put an emphasis on their placing have a poor strategy for success.

You don’t know many Australians, do you?  :p

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 05:34, Grassmarket said:

You don’t know many Australians, do you?  :p

I've spent time in both Australia and the UK -and the US

In no country have I see more triumphalism about medals than the UK . The UK media goes on and on about medals and the Olympics . In the other countries they are hardly mentioned outside the 2 weeks of competition 

Mind you no country spends more money on winning medals than the UK -or is that GB 

On 25/02/2020 at 13:25, Olympian1010 said:

Well... People here would be upset if Indonesia is not top 3 in SEA Games medal table, or even worse below Malaysia (you can imagine what happened in 2017 :p)