website statistics

Wrestling UWW American Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

Totallympics

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Wow the 86 kg, draw is so unbalanced. 

@MHSN predictions?

yes we have some interesting unblanaced brackets at 57 and 86 freestyle

57kg: of course USA/CUB in bottom half will be close, but I see nobody to challenge Mejias.

:VEN:USA

65kg: this one is too easy to predict

:USA:CUB

74kg: top half looks OK for Gomez , only that NCAA guy representing Colombia can be dangerous, bottom half will be very easy for grandpa Garzon

:PUR:CUB

86kg: my top 3 are all in top half, I go with David Taylor but I hope Cuban gut upsets him. bottom half is wide open for everybody, I think Ambrocio will have the advantage but he got injured in Pan-Am Champs final. I don't know how good he is

:USA:PER

97kg: no room for "luck" with 2-group format, I still go with my earlier prediction, even though that VEN guy lost to DOM narrowly in Pan-Am Champs. Cuba is 99% guaranteed a spot but the 2nd spot is available for 3 guys, DOM, CAN and VEN

:CUB:VEN

125kg: againI stand on my previous prediction but Pino showed some progress in his freestyle abilities, I think he is capable of beating any of these 2 guys.

:USA:CAN

and Greco

60kg: I still pick Cuba but that Colombian guy won gold in PanAm Champs few days ago and he is very dangerous. bottom half will be decided by first round match between ECU and USA

:CUB:ECU

67kg: top half looks more interesting with COL, VEN and BRA, can't see much competition for USA in bottom half, maybe Mexico

:BRA:USA

77kg: golden opportunity for everybody in top half, bottom half will be more interesting with 3 favorites, Pena beat Smith in PanAm Champs (whole Smith beat him earlier in the first round) so I give him more chances.

:VEN:CUB

87kg: while Greco is unpredictable in general but this one looks easier than the rest

:CUB:USA

97kg: same as my previous prediction

:USA:CUB

130kg: Venezuela is kind of lucky to avoid both Chile and USA. that Armenian guy from Brazil is his biggest challenge

:VEN:CHI

Edited by MHSN

14 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Not the best draw for Mexican wrestlers, but maybe, just maybe, at least one of the greco guys could make it.

any special reason why Mexico didn't enter Leyva ? I know he wrestled at PanAms and lost convincingly to the same guy from Cuba (the same guy your other wrestler has to face tomorrow) but still to me he was your best chance. if this guy Vicente is better than Leyva (I assume that's case) he has a chance but then he is facing the best wrestler in the competition ...

I think your 77kg and 67kg are not without chance, that American guy Sancho loves to throw everything :d that's a dangerous tactic for himself too.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

any special reason why Mexico didn't enter Leyva ? I know he wrestled at PanAms and lost convincingly to the same guy from Cuba (the same guy your other wrestler has to face tomorrow) but still to me he was your best chance. if this guy Vicente is better than Leyva (I assume that's case) he has a chance but then he is facing the best wrestler in the competition ...

I think your 77kg and 67kg are not without chance, that American guy Sancho loves to throw everything :d that's a dangerous tactic for himself too.

Not sure why Leyva isn't entered, but probably he either suffered an injury or as you said, was beaten in a control competition. Sadly, Mexican federations have lousy info regarding their competitions.

15 minutes ago, Laraja said:

@MHSN Could you do the same prediction to the girls? I don't know too much about wrestling, but I know that we have better chances with them.

I usually don't predict women's wrestling because I'm not much informed about it. I mean about men's freestyle and Greco I follow almost all competitions during the year. injury news etc. but for women's wrestling it's mostly about world champions and Olympics. someone can be world champion 2 years ago but we don't know about her current shape. but let me try my chance

50kg: looks like a good draw for Castillo, bottom half is most probably about USA and CAN in the SF.

:COL:USA

53kg: no room for luck with this format, I would go with USA/CAN naturally but that ECU girl dominated everybody at PanAms hard to write her off,

:USA:ECU

57kg: again 2 group format,  I go with most obvious prediction even though ECU isn't that bad, but both USA and CAN are World Champions !

:CAN:USA

62kg: this one is really hard to predict, I think it's easy to say who will make it to the SF but both semies will be close. there are 4 favorites here, COL and BRA alongside usual favorites.

:CAN:USA

68kg: no USA in this weight, Canada looks like huge favorite in top half , maybe BRA can challenge her. bottom half is more balanced, I say Cuba but then there is not much difference between them

:CAN:CUB

76kg: I think only COL is a real treat to BRA and CAN.

:CAN:BRA

wow. my favorite here :ECU Montano lost to :USA Hafizov. after the first period it seems Montano will eat this guy alive but then ran out of gas, made a technical mistake gave up 3 points and got eliminated :(:( as simple as that

first surprise of the day