website statistics

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

George_D

1 minute ago, phelps said:

didn't watch the first round...and actually I was also very much distracted during the second one, but the 3rd round was dominated from start to finish by the Belorussian...

if we can call one of the other 2 rounds "tight", the outcome is controversial...

The first two rounds were definitely not tight :p 

Ok it's not like Dubois totally destroyed her, but she was - quite simply - better.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

didn't watch the first round...and actually I was also very much distracted during the second one, but the 3rd round was dominated from start to finish by the Belorussian...

if we can call one of the other 2 rounds "tight", the outcome is controversial...

So, basically you judged the fight on one round, the third which was also the closest, while ignoring the first two rounds which Dubois won pretty comfortably. I would suggest that it is your view that is the controversial one in this instance!

Delfine Persoon is out in the preliminary round :bye:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

So, basically you judged the fight on one round, the third which was also the closest, while ignoring the first two rounds which Dubois won pretty comfortably. I would suggest that it is your view that is the controversial one in this instance!

no, I was assuming something wrong for the second round, which I followed very much with half an eye...

but the 3rd round (the only one I watched carefully) wasn't close at all...it was totally under control by the Belorussian...

those 3 judges that gave it to Dubois are at least biased (if not pure "old style aiba")...

p.s. I admit that I'm totally biased when it comes to British amateur fighters, as many of them robbed too many medals in the last 10 years (starting with the second worst scandal ever in Olympic Boxing, the Superheavyweight final in London 2012)...

meanwhile I don't think I'm biased when it comes to former Soviet Union fighters...they are really as awful as they look and only truly corrupted judges gifted them almost all of their medals in history...:pope:

Edited by phelps

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, I was assuming something wrong for the second round, which I followed very much with half an eye...

but the 3rd round (the only one I watched carefully) wasn't close at all...it was totally under control by the Belorussian...

those 3 judges that gave it to Dubois are at least biased (if not pure "old style aiba")...

p.s. I admit that I'm totally biased when it comes to British amateur fighters, as many of them robbed too many medals in the last 10 years (starting with the second worst scandal ever in Olympic Boxing, the Superheavyweight final in London 2012)...

meanwhile I don't think I'm biased when it comes to former Soviet Union fighters...they are really as awful as they look and only truly corrupted judges gifted them almost all of their medals in history...:pope:

Well, from someone who couldn't care less if GBR or BLR wins: this was a perfectly normal result.

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

p.s. I admit that I'm totally biased when it comes to British amateur fighters, as many of them robbed to many medals in the last 10 years (starting with the second worst scandal ever in Olympic Boxing, the Superheavyweight final in London 2012)...

We shall have to agree to disagree. Dubois stood off to some extent in the last round knowing she'd done enough in the first two rounds and I narrowly gave the Belarussian the round as she was going forward and landed a few more punches, although nothing special. The gap in performance was clearly greater in the two earlier rounds. The point is claiming a decision is controversial when it clearly isn't - even the Belarussian knew she'd lost - undermines the case against genuine controversies.

As for British amateur boxing I've spent the last ten years frustrated at the bad decisions they've been given in a string of fights, not least London 2012 where Tom Stalker got a shocker against an Indian fighter.