website statistics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

George_D

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

As an outsider I’d say the only boxing judging system that has ever worked was the one when they simply counted punches that landed and showed the scores in real time.  Any system based on scoring abstract concepts like “aggression” & “defensive effort” etc etc will always be manipulated.

It was a system I preferred but which the AIBA did not because it exposed their corruption and incompetence more openly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delfine Persoon has come from the professional ranks to attempt to qualify for the Olympics in the women’s -60kg. She is unseeded but she’ll be very dangerous. She is suffering from a neck injury though so she will not be at her full strength.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

As an outsider I’d say the only boxing judging system that has ever worked was the one when they simply counted punches that landed and showed the scores in real time.  Any system based on scoring abstract concepts like “aggression” & “defensive effort” etc etc will always be manipulated.

It still didn't work and lead to a bunch of baffling decisions.

 

Landing the greatest number of punches is also fundamentally not what Boxing as a sport is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It still didn't work and lead to a bunch of baffling decisions.

 

Landing the greatest number of punches is also fundamentally not what Boxing as a sport is about.


But in amateur three-round boxing it is the only quality that can be judged objectively.  Like I say, in a corrupt sport you cannot rely on subjective judgements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Delfine Persoon has come from the professional ranks to attempt to qualify for the Olympics in the women’s -60kg. She is unseeded but she’ll be very dangerous. She is suffering from a neck injury though so she will not be at her full strength.

 

This is going to be an interesting division. Also unseeded Caroline Dubois is making her debut at senior level having gone undefeated in her previous 40 fights during which has won the junior world championship and Olympic Youth Games title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, when and where can we watch? Olympic Channel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right, when and where can we watch? Olympic Channel?

 

yes, it's on the Olympic Channel...

 

from today, early session starts at noon British time, late session at 6 p.m. British time (there are 2 rings running the action at the same time, both are available to watch)...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tournament includes one of the most beautiful names I've seen among athletes.

 

Lancelot Proton de la Chapelle, Belgium

  • Wow! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quasit said:

The tournament includes one of the most beautiful names I've seen among athletes.

 

Lancelot Proton de la Chapelle, Belgium


That’s Lancelot “The Cannibal” Proton de la Chapelle, actually.  :thumbup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Right, when and where can we watch? Olympic Channel?

 

Youtube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...