website statistics

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

George_D

I just don't get how Euope is given most quota places of all continents for lower weights. :wacko:

It's not just that lower weight tend to be very non-European, but also a question - How many adult Europeans weigh under 52/57/63 kg? :p

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

I just don't get how Euope is given most quota places of all continents for lower weights. :wacko:

It's not just that lower weight tend to be very non-European, but also a question - How many adult Europeans weigh under 52/57/63 kg? :p

Women? Plenty. Men? Yeah...not so much :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

I think the quotas are placed proportionally, which hasn't happened in a long time. And there a few left for the World qualifier and not the usual 1-3 quotas. We know boxing and it's limitless problems, but the quotas are not one of them this time.

As a matter of fact, Europe is slightly screwed in the heavier categories, because there are lesser athletes and Europe has the same number as Asia and one more than Americas.

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I think the quotas are placed proportionally, which hasn't happened in a long time. And there a few left for the World qualifier and not the usual 1-3 quotas. We know boxing and it's limitless problems, but the quotas are not one of them this time.

As a matter of fact, Europe is slightly screwed in the heavier categories, because there are lesser athletes and Europe has the same number as Asia and one more than Americas.

Yeah, that's all fine in theory. But nevertheless, Europeans are quite tall on average, so it is counterintuitive that the lowest weights get most places.

Random example:

Average male height in Denmark - 180 cm

Average male height in Malaysia - 163 cm

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

I think it's fine. There are enough "World Quotas" to offset any minor favouritism. Asia may win more World quotas than Europe in the lighter categories, but I doubt we'd have a scenario where the 12th ranked Asian nation is a lot better than the eighth rank European nation.

32 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Entry lists or is it too early?

Haven't seen them yet but for what it's worth the GB squad is

Men

52kg - Galal Yafai

56kg - Peter McGrail

64kg - Luke McCormack 

69kg - Pat McCormack 

75kg - Sammy Lee

81kg - Ben Whittaker

91kg - Cheavon Clarke

91kg+ - Frazer Clarke

Women

51kg - Charley Davison

57kg - Karris Artingstall

60kg - Caroline Dubois

69kg - Rosie Eccles

75kg - Lauren Price

FWIW :IRL have won 15 Olympic medals in men's boxing and all but 4 of them have been 60kg and lower!

48kg - 2
51kg - 2
52kg - 1
54kg - 3
56kg - 1
60kg - 2
67kg - 1
67kg - 1
75kg - 1

81kg - 1

And here's our team for the European qualifiers

Men

52kg – Flyweight – Brendan Irvine 

57kg – Featherweight – Kurt Walker 

63kg – Light-welterweight – George Bates 

69kg – Welterweight – Aidan Walsh 

75kg – Middleweight – Michael Nevin 

81kg – Light-heavyweight – Emmett Brennan 

91kg – Heavyweight – Kiril Afanasev 

91+kg – Super-heavyweight – Dean Gardiner 

Women

51kg – Flyweight- Ceire Smith 

57kg – Featherweight – Michaela Walsh 

60kg – Lightweight – Kellie Harrington 

69kg – Welterweight – Christina Desmond 

75kg – Middleweight – Aoife O’Rourke 

It's not important the population characteristics, but the sporting depth. :d Asia could have a bigger pool to choose lightweight boxers, but is their 5th nation better than the 5th one from Europe, or the 8th, or the 10th, or the 12th. Indonesia can have 10 million boxers and they still can be worse than Hungary's 10 000 (figuratively speaking), because the don't have the same preparation, training etc.