website statistics

Sport Climbing IFSC American Championships 2020

Totallympics

This will be my first event as accredited press! I’ll have articles up on Totallympics Media, and maybe an interview or two for the podcast.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Dependent upon how many climbers make the final round (don’t know if it’s 6 or 8 at this competition), we know the woman’s finalists for tomorrow (which is the first of two days in which I’ll be in attendance):

If 6:

:USA Bair

:CHI Contreras

:ARG Aguado

:USA Chi

:USA Hunt

:CAN Yip

If 8: 

those 6 above

:ECU Rojas

:CAN Frangos 

If only 6 make it, it would be a huge shame for Rojas because she has been quite strong in the Pan American region. Plus, she placed 5th in women’s pre-qualification.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Ah, IFSC have confirmed 8 qualify for the final, Rojas and Frangos are in fact still in the mix for the quota.

18 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Every time IFSC pops up, I think it's something about the school in which I work (IFSC, Instituto Federal de Santa Catarina).

Is this the first edition of the IFSC Pan Ams? 

IFSC Pan American Combined Championships? Yes. IFSC Pan American Championships? No, those have been around for a while. In fact, they will be held later this year, and award quotas for next years World Games (which I will also hopefully be at).

We now know the men’s finalists too:

:USA Bailey

:USA Galla

:USA Duffy

:ECU Granja

:ECU Valencia

:USA Waller

:MEX Santos Buhl

:BRA Grosso

This is essentially US national selection with a little added excitement. The Ecuadorians are the strongest speed climbers, so a decent Boulder or Lead could give them a fighting chance. Mexico and Brazil are generally weak, but they’ve managed to create some climber apparently. Mexico could make some inroads in Speed, but he’ll to seriously improve upon his Lead. Brazil is little more than a wall decoration I’m afraid (he actually had a weirdly good Lead performance in Qualification).

Alrighty, I’m en route to the venue. I should get there a bit before the scheduled start of Speed. Hopefully, I’ll be able to bring y’all good coverage. If I’m able to, I be “live tweeting” from my personal Twitter or Totallympics Media Twitter.